Chapter Two

Chapter 2
Raleigh's POV

I roll my eyes at the boys' stupidity.
"Of course I can see you."

He blanches. "But Luke said that you were a mundane."
"What's a mundane?"
The guy curses in a different language, maybe Latin?, not answering my question and leaves the store.

I stare at him in shock and make my way back to Ashton, who's in a daze with her book.
I snap my fingers in front of her face.

"What?" she asks, a little pissed that I interrupted her reading.
"Did you see that boy?"
I point to where he just left the store.
She looks over. 

"Duh. He's as bright as daylight." 
I nod. "He legit thought that I couldn't see him. And he called me a mundane."
"What the hell is a mundane?"

I shrug when another crash echoes through the bookstore. 
Luke's voice follows, yelling "I'm fine!"

I sit back down and look at my new books, my eyes not wanting to stay on one topic at a time. I start to open a new book called Chain of Gold when Ashton's phone rings.

She picks it up and starts nodding her head, smirking.
"Yep. Will do. See ya later."
The phone disconnects and she stands.

"What is it?" I ask. 
Ashton chuckles. "It's pizza night for the Merton's and the Campbell's!" 
I nod. "Woo-hoo. If it isn't your sister's favourite meal."
We both laugh and exit Luke's shop. 

As we walk down the street, I see the boy from the shop hopping into a car with two girls. The blue/blonde one looks like him and the redhead kept eyeing me weirdly. 
I pull at Ashton's arm. She turns to look at me.
I whisper into her ear. 

"Do you see the boy with the two girls in the car?"
She turns, catching a quick glimpse of them before looking away. 
"Yeah."
"Well, they keep looking at me funny."
"Let's just go then, Ral."

She takes my hand, leading me away.

                                                                  *****

We reach Ashton's apartment quickly.
Hers is exactly a floor below mine.
I open the door and we walk inside.

Ashton's younger sister, Addison, is sitting on the floor of their living room, watching the Amazing Race and stuffing her face with pizza.
"You better have not eaten all the pizza Addi," Ashton scolds as I plop onto the couch. 

Their moms Fran and Nina walk into the room, holding the boxes of pizza. 
Fran hands me a slice of cheese and lays on the floor next to Addison. 

"Who's not doing well?" Nina asks, planting a kiss on Fran and Addison's head before sitting next to me and Ashton.
"The Eaves family are behind," Addison replies sadly. "I wish that the other teams would be nice and help them, but nothing like that has happened yet."

I eat my slice of pizza hungrily, the cheese slightly burning my throat. 
Ashton watches me, trying not to laugh when there are several footsteps stomping around on the floor above.
Fran pauses the tv, trying to listen in. 

The stomping stops immediately, and Nina pulls out her cell phone. 
"Raleigh?" She asks. "Were your parents hosting anybody tonight?"
I shake my head, and she starts to dial one of my parent's numbers. 

They pick up quickly, but I can barely hear what they're saying through the phone. 
Fran turns the tv back on, and groans when the Eaves are given a U-Turn. 
She curses at the screen and changes it to Disney Channel, which is playing a movie called Zombies, and Addison cheers, stealing the remote from Fran before she can change it back.

Nina hangs up and looks at me.
"Your parents are fine Ral, and they would like you to come home now."
I nod, finishing up my second slice. I pack up my stuff and stand.

"See you tomorrow Ral!" Addison says as I leave the apartment.
I wave goodbye and climb up the stairs.

I reach mine, and I unlock the door with my key. 
My parents are sitting on the couch, watching the same episode of the Amazing Race that the Campbells were watching. 

"Hey Mom, hey Dad," I say.
"Hi Ral, how was your day?" Dad asks.
"It was good," I reply. "We stopped by Luke's after school and I got new books."
Mom nods. "I was just on the phone with Luke before Nina called me."

I nod, becoming a little suspicious, remembering the weird boy and Luke's odd behaviours from earlier. 
"I am going to call it a night," I tell them. 

I walk into my bedroom, unpacking my school backpack, and getting ready for bed. 
More footsteps clamber from a few doors down, but I ignore them as I fall asleep.