Chapter Twelve

Chapter 12
Magnus's POV

I am greeted by Zach who bursts into the Sanctuary.
He goes on, rambling about Mina, and where his mother and father are.

As if on queue, the London portal appears, depositing Jem.

"Dad!" Zach shouts.
He runs up and hugs his dad tightly.
Jem smiles, running his hands through Zach's black curls.

"Where's mom?"
Jem sighs.
"Your mother and the redheads are trying to create a locator rune-like the parabatai locator rune, to track the cards original owner."

"What name was on the card?" Alec asks, curious.
"Mortmain and Company," Jem replies, frowning.

I let out a gasp, making everyone jump.
I have to get to London to help Tessa.
If Mortmain is somehow back- I shiver at the thought.
That cannot happen.

I conjure a portal.

"I'll be back, I need to help Tessa and Clary."

Everyone nods, except Alec, who only looks worried.
I step into the blue dust and disappear.

***

Max, Rafe, Dru and Tavvy had watched Val portal to London to help her mother and half-sister.

"What do we do now?" Rafe asks. He was whispering a Spanish song under his breath.

"Does Hale still own the Los Angeles Shadow Market?" Dru asks.
Tavvy nods. "I think so."

Dru closes a book that she was reading.
"Would he know anything?"

Max shrugs, his cell phone ringing.
He quickly answers, seeing his Dad's profile appear.
"Hey Dad," He says.

"Hey Max," Alec replies. "Is everyone okay there?"
"Yup. Do you need anything?"
Alec sighs into the phone.
"Could you guys look into the name Mortmain?"

Max looks at everyone in the room.
The other three nod.

"Yeah, sure. We're on our way to the Shadow Market, do you need anything?"
"Yeah, I will send you a list of herbs for Magnus's spells," Alec replies.
"Thanks, I love you dad, see ya."
"Bye Max."

Alec hangs up.
A quick text of herbs appear, and they run out of the Institute.
***

Rebecca and Atticus put their weapon belts on, and walk down, stealing Rebecca's dads' skateboard, along with a duplicate that used to belong to Clary.

"To the Hotel Dumort!" Atticus says.
He waves to Eleanor, Georgia and John, before they skateboard away.

"I hope they're going to be okay," Georgia whispers.
She holds her father's bow and arrows protectively.
Rebecca was the one in the family who got Isabelle's whip, along with Anna's, Cecily's and Camille's red gem necklace.

"They'll be alright," Eleanor says encouragingly.
She has Cortana swung across her back.

John locks the door behind him, holding Livia Blackthorn's sabres.
"Ready to patrol?" He asks.
The two nod.

They walk in the opposite direction, in search of any rogue demons, anything odd, any magical occurrences.
~
Rafe and Max eye the alleyway as Tavvy parks the truck in a safe space.

"Are we sure this is safe?" Tavvy asks, looking around anxiously.
Rafe nods.
"This is probably safer than the Buenos Aires Shadow Market."

Dru shivers, and the Voyance runes start tracing the stands, the market coming to life before their eyes.
"Whoa," Tavvy says. He's in awe.
Rafe smirks.

They see the members of the Downworld haggling with other Downworlders, people flirting, stealing. Everything is happening in Barnabas's market.
As they continue to walk, they see Hale's stand.
Hale and Hypatia Vex are bickering, pausing once Hale sees Dru, and he visibly pales.
Dru smirks. She had tricked Hale before, in 2012.

"Miss Blackthorn," Hale whispers. "What can I be of service with?"
Hypatia addresses the other three as Dru pulls Hale away to talk.

"Hello Mr and Mr Lightwood-Bane, and Mr Blackthorn," Hypatia says.
The three nod.
"What can I do to help?"

Max clears his throat.
"We were wondering if you knew anything in relation to Mortmain."

Hypatia gives a small gasp.
She knew of the horrid things Mortmain had done, but she hadn't faced him herself. She had only started meddling with Shadowhunters after she opened the Hell Ruelle in the early 1900s.

"Give me one second."

Hypatia walks down the row of stands, dragging another warlock by the ear, heading back to the kiddos.

"Ragnor?" The three of them ask.
The green fella waved sheepishly.
"I thought you were at the Scholomance," Rafe says. He crosses his arms.

"Well," Ragnor replies, "Teaching those kids after a decade or two got boring, so I have been hanging out with Hypatia and Catarina again."
Hypatia groans. "Please make him leave."

Max nods.
"So Ragnor, what do you know about Mortmain?"
Ragnor freezes.
"M-mort-ma-ain?"

Rafe whispers into Tavvy's ear.
"He's definitely heard of him."
Tavvy nods.

"What do I need to know about him?" Ragnor asks. "He's been dead since the late 1800s."
"Well," Tavvy says. His voice is almost like a whisper. "Tessa found his business card in London, after her daughter was stolen."
Ragnor and Hypatia gasp.

"Where is Tessa now?" He asks.
Hypatia starts chewing her fingernails anxiously.
"London," Dru replies, dragging Hale back over with her.

"We have to help her then."
He runs his hands through his white hair and horns.
Everyone nods.

"Hale!" Hypatia yells. "You are in charge of my stand. If anything happens, I will send you to Lilith the easy way."
Hale gulps.
"Yes ma'am."
Barnabas Hale runs away to fetch things from his stand, trying to get away as fast as possible.

Ragnor creates a portal with help from Hypatia, and with their magic combined, the group is quickly transported to London.
***
Rebecca and Atticus skateboard down the street, looking at all the Mundane culture.

"So what do you like best about New York?" Atticus asks.
He's rarely ever in New York, since his parents co-run the Los Angeles Institute with the ap-Nudd family.

"Hmm," Rebecca says. "I think I enjoy the amount of diversity that my parents show Georgia and I. Whether it's faerie restaurants, werewolf bars, Magnus's parties, and even the Hotel Dumort. I have a few friends from each member of the Downworld."
She giggles.
Atticus nods.

They quickly reach the Hotel Dumort. As they sneak through the back alleyway that would lead them inside, Rebecca spots one of her vampire friends.
"What's up?" She whispers, aware that the vampire could hear her clearly.

Her friend was crouched in the shade near the entrance. They have short brown hair.
They turn to face Atticus and Rebecca.

"Do you know where Lily Chen is? She hasn't been to the Dumort since she went to visit Alec. And there is a new leader inside, and he is not from this era."