LXXI - I HEAR YOU KNOCKING

Start from the beginning

   "I really hope he's just being paranoid." She muttered, and she could see the concern on his face as he looked at her. "She's six, and she's worrying about some evil spirit wanting to hurt her and Hope. She shouldn't have to be worrying about something like this."

   Elijah sighed as he sat down beside her, rubbing her shoulder gently. "She won't have to. If there is anything, we will take care of it." He stated firmly, tilting her chin up so that their eyes met. "No harm will ever come to our daughter."

   Audrey looked at him a long moment, and she knew they were both on the same page. They'd go to hell and back before they let anything hurt Mira. Leaning in, she kissed his lips softly, resting her forehead against his. "Come on." She said softly, taking one of his hands in hers. "We should leave them waiting on us too long."

   However, Elijah gently pulled her back onto the bed as she went to stand up, making her giggle as he connected theirs lips together once more. Waiting just moment longer wouldn't do anyone any harm.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

   Giggling together, Mira and Hope ran ahead in the fields of the bayou, picking flowers to give to Mary as they made their way to the cabin. Hayley walked ahead with them, keeping an eye on both girls as the couple walked just behind, their hands entwined together as they walked. The moment they'd stolen together back the compound was quickly interrupted by Mira and Hope, who'd been sent upstairs by Hayley to tell them it was time to leave. When they got downstairs, the Marshall hybrid sent Audrey an innocent smile, and Audrey merely gave her a flat look in response. 

   "I've been thinking." Audrey began after a moment, and he looked at her with a raised brow. "After all this over, what should we do next?" She asked. "Klaus and Hayley are going to do what they think is best for Hope, for her future. But we haven't talked about what is best for Mira's, or what we want for our future as a family."

   "I lost five years with both you." He said softly, his eyes glancing between Audrey and his daughter. "I want to make up for that and not lose anymore."

   Her smile grew as she squeezed his hand. "So where should we go?"

   Elijah looked thoughtful for a long moment. "We never did get to go to France in the end." He reminded.

   The Gilbert girl blinked in surprise, and knew exactly what he was talking about. Seven years ago, they were meant to be going to France. A fresh start after everything they'd been dealing with in Mystic Falls, but then a note from Katherine led them to New Orleans, where they discovered Hayley was pregnant. Klaus daggered Elijah, and when he was back, their focus was on their family and making the city safe for Hope's arrival. It had been so long since Audrey had thought about those plans they'd made, and a lot in their lives had changed since they made them.

   "You want to finally go?" She asked, thinking through the idea.

   "There's a place there, Manosque. It's this beautiful village in the south of France." He explained to her. "I want to show both of you it. We could build a life there, we could be happy."

   "Living in France?" She thought over the idea, a smile growing on her lips. "That sounds amazing." She admitted, and the more she thought about it, the more excited the idea made her. Somewhere quiet and peaceful, where they could raise Mira without the constant threats their lives in New Orleans had brought them.

   Finally giving Mira the life she knew she'd always wanted. A home with both her parents, the ability to see all her family when she wanted, and the chance to have a normal childhood. Where she could go to school, and make friends with other kids her age. As close as her and Hope were, she knew she wanted the chance to meet other kids, and she knew that Hope wanted the same. It was something Hayley and Audrey hated not being able to give them the chance to do, as the last five years of their lives had to be spent constantly on the move, looking over their shoulders for any potential threat.