X - APRES MOI, LE DELUGE

   "The Italians call them strega. The Yoruba of West Africa call them aje, meaning mother. Where my mother was from, they called them häxa, and here we call them witch." Elijah explained to Hayley and Audrey that morning, as the three sat in the study, going over the sketches that Davina had done. All of them had pieced together like a puzzle, revealing a giant image of Celeste, which Elijah and Audrey recognized instantly. "Over the centuries, vampires have fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and burned them. Whether adversary or ally, they have been a force to be reckoned with. Their ancestral magic anchors this city. There's never been one all-powerful witch until Davina."

   Despite how much the couple just wanted to spend the day together that day, both of them still taking in what had happened between them last night, the revelation in the sketches required attention. Elijah was sure there had to be a meaning behind why Davina had done them, so Audrey agreed to help him look into it, the feelings she got when she first learned about Celeste no longer there. She wasn't sure if it was because of the ring that now sat on her finger, or because she truly knew she had no reason to be jealous of Celeste, but his interest in the matter didn't bother her.

   "Who is now tucked in safe and sound down the hall under my protection." Klaus announced as he joined them, taking the spare seat beside Audrey.  He tilted his head as he looked at the drawing, which had been laid out and carefully taped together on the table. "Your Celeste was quite beautiful and a portent of evil, according to our volatile artist in residence."

   "Yes. Perhaps Davina's mistaken what she calls evil for power." Elijah mused, not glancing up at his brother. "Celeste was certainly very powerful in her day, but she's been dead for over two hundred years. I don't understand. Why all these sketches now?"

   Klaus shrugged, leaning back comfortably in his seat. "Why do witches do anything?" He asked, rolling his eyes as Audrey hit his arm away from behind her shoulders. All four of them went silent, as multiple crashes sounded from down the hall, all of them knowing exactly what it was. "Well, that's going well."

   Audrey just gave him a look. "And I wonder whose fault that is?" Another smash sounded from Davina's room, who'd been lashing out magically at anyone who tried to talk to her, especially Marcel.

   Elijah nodded in agreement, looking at his brother with the same expression. "If you were trying to win the girl's trust, perhaps poisoning her one true love was not the most splendid idea."

   Klaus rolled his eyes. "Oh. Are there any more inopportune deaths you'd like to wave in my face?"

   "Give me a month." Elijah answered with a slight smirk. "I'll get you a list."

   There was a final crash, and the hybrid's face fell in annoyance, letting out a huff as he got to his feet. "Young, old, dead, or alive, witches are a pain in the ass." He stated as he walked away.