IX - THE CASKET GIRLS

   "I can't believe you talked me into this."

   In Hayley's room, she and Audrey stood looking in the mirror, the two having so far spent the morning trying on old wedding dresses. It was the day of the Casket Girl celebrations in New Orleans, in memory of young women who traveled from France once to marry New Orleans gentlemen. Over the years, the story had became an excuse for the people of New Orleans to celebrate, dressing up in things like old wedding dresses and partying till the sun rose the next day. Despite still being allowed to leave the compound, Hayley had dug up some old wedding dresses for them to try on, wanting to get in the mood of the celebrations happening around them. 

   "It's better than sitting around doing nothing." Hayley shrugged, looking at herself in the mirror, as Audrey helped her fasten her dress. "So, we can't go to the actual festivities tonight. Doesn't mean we can't have fun." She ran her hands over the material of her dress, turning to side as they rested on her growing baby bump. "There probably weren't many pregnant casket girls."

   "Probably not." Audrey admitted, giving her smile. "But you look great either way."

   Hayley grinned at her through the mirror, before moving in the direction of the door. "Time to see how women manage to pee in these dresses." She mused, earning a snicker from Audrey as she walked away. 

   Moving into the spot where Hayley once stood, Audrey looked at her own reflection in the mirror, doing a small twirl in the dress she wore. It was a short lace dress, that had long lace sleeves to it. Compared all the ones Hayley managed to find, the Gilbert girl found herself liking this one the most, compared to all the long and big skirted ones. Moving her hair off to one side, she reached her hands behind her back, trying to reach the zip to do it up. 

   "Would you like some help?"

   In the mirror, she could see Elijah now stood in the open doorway behind her, watching her carefully. Audrey stared back at him for a long moment, before slowly nodding. "If you don't mind..."

   "It's no bother." Walking up behind, Elijah gently began to pull the zipper of the dress up. Feeling his fingers trailing against her skin, Audrey bit down on her lip, swallowing the lump in her throat. Their eyes locked through the mirror, as he carefully did the button up at the top, moving her hair so it fell down her back once more. "You look beautiful." He said softly, his eyes not once leaving hers. 

   "Thanks." She mumbled, her fingers playing with the skirt of the dress nervously.

   She knew that he and Rebekah had moved into the compound, having apparently set things right with Klaus. Audrey had managed to avoid Elijah up until now, though she got the feeling he'd been avoiding her too, after their short encounter the night before. Just like the night before, both of them had a million things that they wanted to say to one another, but neither of them knew how to say it.