LIII - WILD AT HEART

Start from the beginning

   "Of course you may." Elijah nodded, giving her a weak smile which she returned in appreciation. "Forgive me." He excused as his phone began to buzz, pressing a kiss to Mira's forehead before he left the room.

   Klaus glanced at Audrey, who nodded knowing and took Mira back into her arms, who had managed to fall back to sleep as Klaus held her. He made his way toward the door, giving Hayley a comforting smile. "Hayley, this family comes with many, many hardships, but there is at least one benefit-- you will always have a home here."

   With that, he left, Hope beginning to whimper as he did so. Hayley sighed and bounces her gently on her hip to soothe her, and Audrey noticed the sadness still clear on her face. "Come on." She said gently, rubbing her arm as she moved toward her. "Let's get the girls down, and then we can get you a drink. You look like you need it."

   Hayley nodded, giving a weak smile. "You have no idea."

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

   Once Hayley had gone back to the apartment to collect some things for her and Hope, they, Mira, and Audrey spent the day in the compound. Elijah was dealing with something, while Klaus was still gone in search of Cami. Once both of the girls were settled in their nurseries, Hayley tried to get some rest herself, though it wasn't working despite her best attempts. 

   "You have no right!" Both women heard Cami's voice yell downstairs. "Those dark objects are my family's legacy."

   "Well, that's funny, because I seem to remember my brother Kol making them, so perhaps they've been my family's legacy all along!" Klaus's frustrated voice shouted back.

   Hayley and Audrey exchanged a look, both of them shaking their heads as they moved toward the balcony, making their way downstairs as they listened. "Give them back, or I will take them back, and I swear you will regret this moment." Cami threatened seriously.

   "The only thing I forget is failing to realize how far you've spun out of control!" He let out in disbelief. "And you can forget about leaving!"

   The O'Connell woman stared at him for a long moment, a blank expression on her face. "She was right, wasn't she? Aurora? She did this to turn you against me, to rob me of the one advantage I have over her... My humanity. And me, like this? It's a problem for you, isn't it? Not the darkness-- that you find intriguing-- the fact that I am out of control." Klaus scowled at her words but said nothing, making a smug look appear on her face. "I'm out of your control, and you hate it, don't you? You have spent ten centuries getting the entire world to tremble at your name, but you're the one who's terrified, Klaus. You are a scared little kid, convinced he'll be tossed aside the second he isn't needed." Angrily, he grabs her by the arm and she lets out a yelp of surprise. "Let go of me!"

   "Nik." Audrey warned as she and Hayley walked toward them. Klaus glanced at her in surprise, having not heard her call him Nik in months. Not after everything that happened with Dahlia. "Enough. Let her go."

   "You can't just force her to stay here, Klaus." Hayley told him firmly.

   The Mikaelson man glared at her at that, but Cami looked at the two women in relief. "Finally! Someone who's on my side."

   Hayley gives Cami a look. "Oh, don't get me wrong-- I remember when I turned, and you for sure shouldn't have a box of witch crap." She told her bluntly, making Cami's relief fade as Hayley looked back at Klaus. "But, you can't hold her hostage, either. Let me talk to her."

   "I hardly think now is the time for a women's empowerment meeting." He snapped, unamused.

   "She died, Klaus." Hayley told him with a sigh, not in the mood to argue with him. "Because she got caught up in the Mikaelson world. Just like me. Just like Jackson. So yeah, the three of us have a few things to talk about."