TRACKING

RECORDING THE AWAKE RECORD

JEN POV
Today is the day. I was nervous enough about recording the drums, but today is vocals day. John pulls into the parking lot of the studio and turns off the engine.
"Everyone ready? Jen?" he asks, turning around in his seat.

I nod halfheartedly. "Sure," I reply as we all begin to get out of the car.

Inside the studio, we meet our producer, Howard Benson. I just call him "the producer". He greets each of us warmly and pulls me aside to explain how the vocal recording process is going to go. Then I go and take a seat on the couch next to Ben while I wait for John to track his vocals.

"I'm so nervous," I say, my leg bouncing up and down profusely.

"You're going to do amazing Jen, I promise," Ben insists. I give him a halfhearted smile.

"Jen? Can I see you for a second?" I hear our producer call me over. I get up off of the couch and walk to where he's standing.

"So, John's almost finished with these last two songs," he says. "I'm going to call you over to the booth for your turn in 45 minutes, maybe longer, depending on John. You know what you're singing, yeah?"

I nod. "Yeah, it's save me now and I need a hero and stuff. I've got it."

"Awesome. See you in 45 minutes," he says.

I smile nervously. "Okay."

Our producer gives me a smile. "You're going to do great. Don't sweat it." He gives me a pat on the shoulder and turns to John as he steps out of the booth for a moment.

"What did he say to you?" Ben asks as I return to the couch.

I slump down into the couch. "Nothing, really. I go in for tracking in 45 minutes."

"Oh, okay," he says. "You know you're going to do great, right?"

I smile at him. "I'm just nervous. Thank you."

-------
The next 45 minutes go by quickly. Ben and I spend it talking and laughing.

"Jen, it's your turn," I hear our producer call. I push myself off of the couch and walk over to the door of the vocals booth. "Okay, so, we're going to play the track through your headphones and I'll give you a cue to remind you when to start singing in case you forget."

I nod. "Um... can Ben come with me? Into the booth?"

The producer sighs, putting his hands in his front pockets. "It's against our policy to have two people in the booth at once while tracking... but I'll allow an exception because it's your first time. Just this one time," he replies with a small smile.

"Thank you!" I exclaim. I motion for Ben to come over. "Can you stay in the booth with me while I'm singing? It'd make me less nervous," I ask.

Ben grins. "Fiiine," he groans sarcastically. "What would you do without me?" he asks with a wink. I roll my eyes and we go into the vocals booth.

I put on the headphones and Howard gives me a thumbs up. The track starts. I'm just a step away, I'm just a breath away, losing my faith to-Our producer gives me another thumbs up.

I close my eyes and absentmindedly grab Ben's hand. "We're falling off the edge today," I hear myself sing as our fingers interlock. After that first line I relax slightly and worry less. I have to sing through the whole song so I can track the choruses a few times so the producers can choose where I sound best. I sing through the rest of the song with no problem, Ben and I holding hands the entire time. He gives me a few encouraging smiles here and there to help get me through it. Finally the song ends.

I hear a static-y voice come through my headphones. "That was awesome, Jen. I don't think we'll need to track it again. It was perfect." I exhale a sigh of relief, turning to Ben as I let go of his hand.

"Thank you," I say to Ben with a small smile.

"Anytime," he says, grinning.

----
A/N
SORRY FOR THE REALLY LAME CHAPTER IM AT SCHOOL RIGHT NOW AND I HAD FREE TIME AFTER TAKING A FINAL. IDK WHY I'M WRITING IN ALL CAPS.
THANKS FOR READING YOU'RE AWESOME ILY
-trinityyyyyy