BACKING VOCALS

END OF COMATOSE TOUR 08

BEN POV

"So, Jen, I've been thinking..." John says to Jen, who's applying makeup in the mirror for our second to last show of this tour, "since we're recording Awake as soon as we get off of this tour, I was thinking you could sing on a couple songs on the record." I'm just leaning on the wall of our dressing room in the venue of the show that we're playing in forty-five minutes. Korey's gone to grab us waters for before the show because she was the first to finish getting ready. Jen and I are unintentionally matching in our black and white stage outfits, which Jen pointed out before we left our bus.

I watch Jen's reflection suddenly draw a huge black line across her face, starting from the edge of her right eye and stopping right in front of her ear. "Aw, frick," she says but with a small smile, putting the eyeliner down on the table. I can't help but chuckle. She grabs the makeup remover and starts getting rid of the silly black line across her face. Jen turns around to face John. "I'm going to have to redo that spot now," she sighs playfully, still with a small smile on her face. "You want me to what, John?" she asks, even though from the extremely nervous look on her face I can tell she already knows the answer.

The corners of John's mouth turn up in a smile. "I want you to sing," he says slowly, "on the next record. Just two songs, and only backing vocals. I'd love for Korey to do it, but I also want you to give it a try."

Jen looks across the room at me, her eyes meeting mine. "Help me," she mouths. I grin and shake my head.

"I think this is a good idea, John. Jen, you have major talent and only singing a verse of 'Yours to Hold' doesn't do it enough justice," I say, "you should definitely give it a try." She gives me a look that says, That wasn't helpful. I smile at her and shrug.

"Jen? What do you say, will you give it a try?" John asks, looking at Jen intently.

Jen smiles nervously. "Alright, give me the lyrics you want me to sing and the melody and I'll try it," she agrees.

John's grin widens. "Yesss! I knew you'd do it," he exclaims, stepping towards Jen to give her a high five. She gives John a high five and returns to the mirror for her makeup.

I walk over to Jen. "You know you're going to do great, right?" I ask her. She doesn't look at me for fear of messing up her eye makeup again.

"I hope so," she replies. "It's just weird because the only time I've ever been recorded singing was with Marie, and only like fifteen people-" I can't help but smile at the way she says 'fifteen' in her accent "-heard it. Well, that and the live recording of 'Yours to Hold', but no-one's heard that yet and I'm sure there's videos on the internet anyway." She sighs, turning away from the mirror. Jen has to be one of the most beautiful girls I've ever seen... "...I'm just scared because this is for real, recorded in a studio, with a song that no Panhead or Skillet fan has heard yet. And I might have to perform it."

"Jen," I begin, "you'll be amazing, believe me. Your singing is fantastic and only a crazy person would believe otherwise. But don't just take my word for it, take John's and Korey's word for it, take God's word for it. He's the one who blessed you with this talent, after all."

Jen gives me a smile. "You're right. How many people get to record on an album with an awesome rock band, anyway? Thanks, Ben. I'll try my best," she says.

I can't help but pull Jen in for quick hug. "Aw, look at Ben and Jen," I hear Korey laugh as she walks through the door. I feel my cheeks turn red momentarily as Kor hands each of us a water bottle.

I somewhat reluctantly break the hug, my hand lingering on Jen's arm for a moment. I turn to face Korey. "Showtime?" I ask. Korey nods.

"Fifteen minutes 'til showtime, Benjamin and Jennifer," John answers. Then he grins. "Bennifer. I like that. Ready to kill it with Skillet, Bennifer?" he asks, half chuckling at his own wittiness. Jen, Korey, and I laugh in return.

"Ready when you are, Jorey," Jen responds with a smile.

--------------------

A/N -

Sorry for the somewhat short chapter and any of my mistakes in it! I wrote and published this in one sitting without properly proofreading it. I hope you like the Ben POV, and I hope you like this chapter even more ;) God bless!

- trinity