Chapter 16

Johnny had decided to stop there, having heard more than enough information from Taeha to begin his next steps. They thanked Taeha for her time and they began heading out.

"Now what?" Mark asked, flipping through his notebook. "There's so much information, I just don't know what to do with it."

"We need to go back to Doyoung." Johnny told them. "Now that we know that he was in on the plan as well, he probably had more answers to what Dowon knew and what he had planned for that night."

As Jaehwa walked with them, half-listening, her mind was focused on something else.

Taeyong.

He had a face that she had seen many times before, but now today, there was something else about him that seemed familiar to the girl and she was almost certain that she had seen the male somewhere else before.

But where?

Jaehwa was so busy thinking that she didn't notice that Johnny had stopped moving until she ran straight into his back, making him turn around.

"You good?" Johnny asked, concern in his eyes.

"Yeah, I'm just tired." Jaehwa lied.

She was certain that Johnny saw right through it, especially since he was a detective. But he didn't say anything, continuing to chat with Mark as they made their way to the parking lot where their cars were waiting.

They waved goodbye to Mark before getting into Johnny's car, Jaehwa's bike still at her place. Once they were alone, Johnny began to question her.

"Something's on your mind." Johnny said as he adjusted his seat, getting comfortable. "You're too obvious."

"Taeyong." Jaehwa said, knowing that there was no point keeping it from him. "I've seen him before."

"I mean you go there every day." Johnny said with bitterness in his voice as he started the car.

"No," Jaehwa said, shaking her head. "I've seen him before somewhere else. I just can't remember where."

"Alright." Johnny said, abruptly ending the conversation.

What's his problem?

The rest of the car ride was silent and soon Johnny was parking his car in front of Jaehwa's trailer.

Jaehwa turned to look at Johnny's side profile and couldn't help but think back to the night before and everything that happened between them. She took a deep breath, calming her nerves before asking her question.

"Do you want to stay for dinner?" Jaehwa asked.

Johnny seemed taken aback by the question. "Huh?"

"I kind of owe you for last night." Jaehwa told him. "So why don't you come in and have a meal before you leave?"

Johnny seemed hesistant but he still nodded his head, turning the engine off.

"Sure."

...

Why did you invite him over if you can barely cook?

Jaehwa tried her best to pretend that she was busy, hoping that the male who had his laptop opened at the table, catching up with some work, wouldn't notice that she wasn't actually searching for ingredients. She was searching for a book.

A  special book that Jaehyun had created for her in situations like this, when she needed to cook for someone but didn't have her brother by her side.