True Despair

"AAAAAHHHHHH!"
"I CAN'T FEEL MY LEGS!"
"I CAN'T FEEL MY D-" screams and wails echoed through the battlefield, drowning out the sounds of chaos and destruction. Amidst the chaos, the once formidable frontal line crumbled in the blink of an eye, leaving nothing but death. Gone were the seasoned generals, respected commanders, and fearless leaders who had guided their armies with valiant determination.

Only a handful of soldiers were fortunate enough to survive, and those where who found themselves either at the rear of the army or barely clinging to life. Those who stood amidst the wreckage were confronted by the grim sight of their fallen comrades, reduced to mere remnants of their former selves. Some had lost their feet, charred to ashes by an unforgiving beam of destruction. Others, their lower halves obliterated, succumbed to their grievous injuries within seconds. And tragically, there were those who lost their lives altogether, their brave spirits extinguished in the turmoil of battle.

"What...what happened?!!" The desperate cry for answers echoed among the survivors, each one yearning for a shred of clarity, for an order to guide them forward in this bewildering nightmare. Confusion gripped them tightly, mingling with the acrid scent of charred blood that hung heavy in the air.

"I don't know! There were lights! And then this! This happened!" A soldier's voice trembled as he struggled to make sense of the unfathomable events that had unfolded before their eyes. The truth eluded them, leaving their minds entangled in a web of uncertainty and fear.

"W-What do we do now?! More than half of us is gone!" Panic surged through the surviving ranks, their hearts heavy with the weight of staggering losses. They desperately sought anyone, anyone with a higher rank, someone who could offer guidance and hope in the face of impending doom.

"Is there someone?! Someone with a higher rank!? We need instructions-" Their pleas were abruptly cut short, silenced by a sudden, guttural cry that pierced the air.

"CHARGE!"

It was too late.

The kingdom's cavalry unit materialized, descending upon the battlefield like a merciless tide, taking advantage the generosity of whatever or whoever had commenced the attack before. Their arrival signaled the end, as they ruthlessly sought to eliminate the remaining stragglers. The flicker of hope that still clung to the survivors was promptly extinguished; their fate sealed by the crushing might of their relentless foes.

In that moment, they were lost.

"T-The emperor said they should be weakened after the long war! How even?! What even?!" A vice captain screamed, as every single imperial soldier ran pass him to flee. The mages, with no infantry to protect them soon followed.

"Unless..." mused a soldier who stood unwavering beside him, refusing to succumb to panic like the rest.

"They may be weakened, but we are merely... weaker," he chuckled, settling down on the ground, his laughter echoing through the chaos.

The vice captain, lost in thought, joined him, finding solace in a seat amidst the tumultuous backdrop of countless men fleeing for their lives.

"Perhaps... hahaha," he finally managed to utter, his laughter blending with the cacophony around them.