• Chapter Twenty •

Kayla felt her stomach drop at the sound of the explosion, her hazel gaze immediately turning towards the window where the combustion could be seen over the waters of New York. No, Johnny wasn't..

He couldn't..

As her mind began racing, she hadn't even noticed that the restraints holding her down to her chair had been loosened. Well, that wasn't until she heard a rustling behind her brother, which made her look down to see that she was free.

'What the hell?' She thought to herself, looking towards her brother as the switch of the canister was turned off and Reed's own restraints had been loosened.

That meant one thing.

"Sue.." Her brother croaked, his voice barely above a whisper before he was silenced by the invisible being.

"What has he done to you both?" She asked quietly as she glanced between the siblings, relieved to see that the brunette was alive and okay.

"How romantic." A voice drawled out from behind them which made Susan turn around to the assailant as her powers made her visible. "And I see Sleeping Beauty is awake."

"Well, seeing your face would have made me believe that I was still in a nightmare." Kayla fired back with an icy glare as she got up and stood beside the blonde. "Although, the mask, I have to admit, is a step up from seeing your ugly mug."

"I see you haven't learnt your lesson." Victor said with a glare.

"Victor, please.." Susan pleaded, in hopes that his crush on her would give them some leverage.

Victor stepped into the light, revealing himself to Susan which made her look at him in shock. "Call me Doom." He insisted.

"The machine works." The older Storm sibling said after a moment of shock. "It worked on Ben, it can work on you. We can turn you back."

Out of the corner of her eyes, Kayla saw a large flickering of light at the top of the Baxter Building as her heart began to race at the thought of what was happening. Was Ben okay?

Victor let out a scoff. "Do you really think fate turned us into gods so that we could refuse these gifts?" He asked as he slowly began to approach the two women.

It was the blonde's turn to let out a scoff. "Victor, you always thought you were a god." She said with narrowed eyes as both she and Kayla took up defensive positions. "Now back off!"

"Now, girls, let's not fight." Victor, or as he preferred, Doom, tutted.

"No." Susan replied with a tilt of her head. "Let's." All of a sudden, she drew in all her energy and threw it at him, making the masked man stumble backwards from the force while several items of furniture and artifacts where knocked down with the windows shattering.

"Nice." Kayla said to the seething blonde as she kept her up her defensive position.

"Susan." Victor paused as he mustered up his own powers; an energy much more powerful the Invisible Woman's. "You're fired!" With that, he sent a blast of electricity forward towards her.

But Kayla threw up a wall of water in front of them, this time having managed to do so quickly. She managed to hold it for a few seconds but the force of the blast sent both women flying back into the wall and landing in different areas of the room

From her position in the corner of the room, Susan let out a painful groan before she looked up to see Victor approaching with a dark chuckle. She stared up at him as he neared her before she quickly turned herself invisible.

Victor stopped with an irritated sigh, listening for any sound of movement as his green eyes looked around the corners room. "Marco.." He taunted casually. "Polo.."