• Chapter Eleven •

Pulling up in front of the Baxter Building, Kayla climbed out of the police car after Reed, Susan and Johnny while Ben climbed out of a police van.

Everywhere the five looked, they could see crowds of people gathered, cheering for the 'Fantastice Five'.

With a slight roll of her hazel eyes, Kayla quickly made her way inside the Baxter Building with her brother and Susan in close pursuit.

Upon entry, an older doorkeeper walked up to the siblings with a kind smile. "Is that all for you Dr Richards, Miss Richards?"

"Unfortunately, yes." Kayla replied instantaneously.

Reed nodded with a small smile and a light shrug of his shoulders. "I'm afraid so."

Noticing the unusual silence behind them, the brunette looked around for Ben as well as a certain blonde. "Where's Ben and Johnny?" She asked before her gaze settled on their figures outside of the building. "Nevermind." She said.

She then met up with her brother and Susan at the elevator, not even noticing that Johnny and Ben had walked up behind her as her eyes fell onto a friendly face.

"Welcome back to the Baxter Building, Dr Richards and Miss Richards." The mailman, Willie, greeted as he walked up to the siblings before reaching into his bag. "I've got the usual for you."

He handed a stack of letters to Reed before smiling at the siblings once more. "Good to have you both back." He said and walked off.

"Thanks, Willie." The Richards siblings called out to him simultaneously before Kayla grabbed the letters from him, looking through each one as the elevator doors rolled open.

Susan peeked over their shoulder and looked at Reed with concern.

"We've had a tough year." The scientist said and entered the elevator with the rest following in behind, Kayla not looking up once as she skimmed through each letter.

"Yeah, like nine straight." Ben scoffed, glancing at Susan as he stepped into the elevator.

The elevator began creaking once everyone had filed in, the young brunette finally lifting her gaze when she handed the pile of letters back to her brother.

The doors rolled closed but none of the five felt the elevator move an inch and it was the perfect moment for Johnny to open his mouth.

"Either we're moving really fast or not at all." He said sarcastically.

All of a sudden, a buzzer sounded which made all eyes turn to the corner of the lift where the level teller was located, a rea notice flashing that read 'Exceed Maximum Weight'.

The doors re-opened, making the rocky figure realise that he was the cause of the elevator not moving.

"I'll take the stairs." Ben said sadly, not meeting anyone's gaze as he stepped out.

Kayla dropped her gaze to the floor sadly as he left and only looked up once the lift had begun moving.

"How come Ben can't turn it on and off like we can?" Johnny asked with curiosity, breaking the silence that had ensued.

Reed shifted his gaze to the blonde male. "That's what we're here to find out."

"I mean.. If it happened to him--" Susan began but was cut off.

"What?" Johnny asked, leaning himself against the handle of the lift's wall. "You mean, like, we won't be able to turn it off, either?"

Kayla gave him a pointed look while Reed gave an unsure look.