• Chapter Two •

"You realise that you made a deal with the devil?" Kayla pointed out as she helped her brother pack up the presentation.

"He knew about NASA." Ben added. "Maybe he made the call to shut us down."

Reed sighed as he began walking alongside his sister and friend. "You guys, think about all the people we can help if this works." He said as they made their way to the elevator. "We got what we wanted and that's enough. Besides, a few days in space! What's the worse that could happen?"

"Uh, a lot." Kayla pointed out. "I don't trust this whole deal you made with Victor, Reed."

"It will be fine." Reed said in attempt to ease his sister.

"Uh-huh." The brunette scoffed and pressed the button, opening the elevator doors.

The trio stepped in with Susan managing to slide in before the doors closed. Ben and Kayla stood at the back of the small confined space while Reed and Susan stood in front.

An uncomfortable silence fell over the four as the shorter of the women turned to Ben. "Awkward." She mouthed to him.

The silence ensued for about a few more seconds before the blonde broke it as she turned to the scientist beside her.

"Reed, you should know that those solar winds have been picking up speed." She said.

"I've factored that into my coordinates." Reed replied with a small smile.

Kayla closed her eyes and smacked her forehead softly at her brother's idiocy.

"Right. Of course, you did. In theory." Susan said with a shrug and faced forwards again. "It's different once you're out there."

"I can assure you I've factored--"

"When are we leaving?" Ben asked, cutting Reed off from starting an argument.

'Thank you, Ben.' Kayla thought as she dropped her hand from her face, opening her hazel eyes to look at the blonde in front of her.

Susan looked behind her with slight surprise as if she had temporarily forgotten where she was and who was with her.

She smiled softly at Ben. "I'll be scheduling the launch so you can call me in the morning for resources and crew."

She held out a business card towards Reed, who looked at her with a small smile.

"I think I remember the number." He said.

"It's been changed." The blonde replied with a slight tilt of her head, which left Reed with no choice but to take the card from his ex-girlfriend.

Kayla and Ben glanced at each other awkwardly before the blue eyed male cleared his throat, catching the scientist's attention before he tilted his head towards Susan.

"Uh, as far as crew, I was hoping Ben could pilot the mission and Kayla to help me with resources and notes."

Susan turned around, her blue gaze falling onto Reed. "That shouldn't be a problem for Kayla but unfortunately we already have a pilot on our payroll."

Ben's posture seemed to have dropped ever so slightly as the blonde continued. "But you're welcome to ride shotgun, Ben. Remember my brother Johnny?"

Both Reed and Ben appeared shocked and glanced towards Kayla who stood silently as she shifted her hazel gaze to the floor.

Why did he have to be on this mission?