• Chapter Six •

Kayla slowly stirred, letting out a soft groan as she forced her eyes open. The harsh, bright light immediately forced her to shut her eyes again and she took a moment before she willed them open once more.

Her vision was blurry as her eyes darted around as it slowly began to adjust to the lighting.

She seemed to be in what appeared as a hospital room.

A frown settled over her features and that was when she felt something holding her hand. The hold seemed to have tightened gently which gave Kayla the feeling that someone was holding it and realised that she had waken up.

"Kayla?" The voice called softly. The voice belonged to a male and the tone was gentle.

The brunette slowly turned her head to the side with another soft groan, to find a figure sitting at her bedside. Initially, she thought it was her brother but once her vision had cleared, she was shocked to find the figure to be none other than Johnny Storm.

"Johnny?" She asked breathlessly before she slowly pushed herself up into a sitting position, the blonde male springing in to help her. "Where am I?"

With her cleared vision, she looked around the room and took in everything around her. She was lying in a double bed with monitors which were monitoring her heart and her vitals.

She then looked down at herself to find that she as no longer in the silver space jumpsuit and blue skin tight suit, but in a pair of light grey sweat pants and a white tank top.

Johnny kept his blue gaze on her. "We're back on Earth. We're all in quarantine at one of Victor's medical facilities." He replied. "I guess they're testing to make sure that we didn't get hit by any radiation from the cloud."

Kayla glanced at him and let out a soft sigh as she slowly nodded. "It's understandable." She said but that was when her eyes caught onto something on her bedside table.

White roses.

"Is Reed awake? Has he been here?" She asked, tearing her eyes away from the vase of roses to look at the blonde.

"Yeah, yeah, he's awake. Constantly checking up on you as well." Johnny replied but he appeared to be slightly flustered. "But.. The roses are from me."

The brunette stared at him with wonder. "From you?" She repeated softly.

"Yeah." He nodded, rubbing the back of his neck. "I just.. I remembered that they're your favourite and I thought.." He trailed of and shook his head slightly.

"Thank you, Johnny." Kayla said sincerely.

Johnny looked at her with surprise as a teasing smirk formed across his lips. "You called me Johnny."

"Don't make me regret it, Storm." Kayla replied, rolling her hazel eyes. "Now, where's Reed?"

As if on cue, Reed walked into the room, his eyes falling onto his little sister who was awake and sitting up in bed.

"That's my cue." Johnny said and stood up while Reed rushed over.

"Kayla." The scientist breathed in relief as he pulled her in for a hug. "I'm so glad you're alright."

Kayla let out a soft laugh as she returned her brother's hug. "Of course, I am. You can't get rid of me that easily." She responded with a teasing tone.

The siblings pulled apart and noticed that the younger Storm sibling had silently left the room.

Kayla frowned to herself as she gazed at the doorway.

"He was here every day." Reed spoke up.

The brunette turned to her brother with a look of surprise. "Really?" She questioned.