• Chapter Sixteen •

Ever since Kayla left Johnny in front of the arena, his day went from bad to worse.

He arrived back at the Baxter Building with a prototype figurine of 'The Thing' which he was excited to show Ben but the rocky figure had crushed it to pieces.

He sighed as he stared at the broken pieces of the toy on the floor and shook his head.

To be honest, he didn't recognise himself anymore either. What was he doing with himself?

One thing was for certain, he loved Kayla. Hell, he's still in love with the brunette but it was his fault for the way things ended between them.

He did something so unbelievably stupid, kissing Alena like that and falling for her 'sweet' words that the playboy side of him couldn't help but fall for it. Sure it was a poor excuse..

Actually, no excuse at all for his actions but it just went further south when he found out that she wanted to travel around the world and go to one of the best colleges across the country.

Every fibre of his being yelled at him to go after her, get on his knees and cry for her to take him back..

But what did he do?

Nothing.

He didn't even put up a fight for her over the past 8 years and she was definitely so worth the fight.

He missed her.

He missed her so much that the girls that he's hooked up with could never fill the void in his heart, let alone even compare to her.

His mind would always end up wandering to her.

He missed her so much that he always felt himself longing for her and her presence.

He missed absolutely everything about her - from their late night talks to holding her in his embrace - even down to the simplest of things like their 'I love you's.'

So, why? Why couldn't he bring himself to fight for that?..

For her..

Maybe it was because he knew that Kayla would never trust him with her heart again.

So, maybe that was the beginning of his change back into the reckless, hotheaded, playboy that he was before he met her. The guy who loved seeking attention from everyone.

Deep down, he had always hated being that guy and when Kayla came along, he changed for the better.

"Johnny," His sister's voice called to him, tearing him out of the hurricane that was his thoughts. "Have you seen Ben?"

"Yeah, Sunshine just left." He replied with a snort before he began making his way towards the entrance of the Baxter Building. "Look, Sue, I'm sorry. I can't stay in this freakshow. I've got to get back to the real world."

Susan stared at her brother's retreating figure in disbelief "You're calling that the real world?" She asked.

"Sue, stop." Johnny said, pausing in step as he turned to face her. "You're not Mom. Don't talk to me like I'm a little boy, okay?"

"Maybe I would if you stopped acting like one!" The older sibling replied with gritted teeth before she began to step forward. "Do you even hear yourself? Who do you think you are?"

And that was when the playboy snapped.

"Why is everyone on my ass?!" The younger sibling yelled. "If you guys are jealous, thats fine! I didn't expect it to come from you, though."

"You really think those people out there care about you?!" Susan fired back angrily. "You're just a fad to them, Johnny! And when are you going to get your head out of your ass to realise that Kayla is still very much in love with you?!"

Johnny scoffed, tearing his blue eyes away from his sister's. "What the point? I've hurt her far too much." He said, his tone of voice lowering. "It's too late."

"Really?" She asked with a scoff of her own. "You're really going to give up and not fight for her again?"

The blonde male remained silent which gave Susan her answer.

"Johnny, if there is any trace of that guy I saw when you were dating Kayla.." She said, her tone softening up as well. "He wouldn't do nothing about it. Instead, he'd go out there looking for her and will show her that she is worth the fight. Where is that guy? Because this isn't him.. He'd never give up so easily.."

Johnny stared at the floor, avoiding his sister's gaze. She was right.. That Johnny would fight for Kayla but he couldn't. She deserved more than he could ever give her.

"I can't.." He replied softly and turned on his heel, leaving the building.

Susan stood in the lobby, watching her brother's retreating figure with a soft sigh and a small shake of her head.

Did he really give up so easily?

And if he did, boy, did he have a lot learning ahead of him.