01

Kate Evans' POV:

I am an 18-year-old, who has faced a lot of hardships over the past few years from losing my parents in an accident to managing my parents' business to dealing with my uncle who is also my guardian, who wants to seize my parents' business, to going to college to complete my basic education.

I have faced all of my hardships with a strong front only to seek comfort from my best friend, Freya Bailey, when things go overboard or too much pressure to handle. I have known Freya ever since middle school.

In the next few days, it will be my convocation. After the graduation ceremony, I am supposed to attend the celebration banquet before leaving for Edinburgh, where the headquarters of the 'Evans Holdings' is situated.

I looked at Freya and said, "I love him, Freya, but I don't have the confidence to confess my love to him."

Freya looks at me and says, "You have to, dear. This is gonna be your chance and if you miss this chance, who knows if you will have another chance. What if some other girl gets ahead of you? You are not the only one who loves him, dear. There are too many girls who are making eyes at him."

When she says that I'm not the only one, I feel bad and say, "I'm not like the other girls and you know it. I love him not because of his looks or his background, I love him for the person he is. How can you compare me to those girls?"

Freya accepts as she says, "You're right. You are nothing like them. They are all making eyes at him, either for his looks or for his background. After all, he looks hot, and he is a millionaire. Almost all girls who are making eyes at him want to live a comfortable and carefree life by depending on a man's wealth. But you, on the other hand, are an independent girl who owns a business, matured and talented at such a young age."

"Thanks to my parents being overprotective of me and keeping me within their sight, that I learnt how to manage and run the business," I said as I scoffed.

Due to their 'not letting out of my sight' attitude, I was brought to various official meetings. My curiosity has always been bad that I heard every single conversation in the meetings and asked about it to dad and mom, at home, when I didn't understand anything.

"Good for you," said Freya and asked after thinking for a few moments, "What is wrong with you? You are always so confident and straight forward, why are you not feeling confident this time?

"I am always confident when I know what the other party's next move will be. Here, I am not confident because I don't know what 'his' next move will be," I answer honestly.

"Obviously, his next move will be to bang you," said Freya shamelessly.

"Shut up!" I tell her.

"Oh, come on, dear, you are such a beauty and you don't even want to accept it. Look at you, 5.8 feet tall, brown-eyed brunette, sexy body. How would any guy control himself from the urge to bang you?" said Freya.

"You are too lustful," I said.

"And you are too pure. How come you don't lust?" asked Freya.

"That's because you have taken over my share of lust too," I said, and Freya nodded without thinking. When what I said sinks in her, she picks the pillow and hits me with it.

Today is my convocation. Freya begs to dress me up, and I let her do whatever she wants as long as it's appropriate.

We then head to the hall to attend the ceremony. Once the ceremony is done, it was the celebration banquet. We headed to the banquet hall. Once I entered the banquet hall, I was surrounded with people congratulating me and some guys proposing me one after another. I looked at Freya for help and she helped me escape from the crowd and led me to a table.

Freya was encouraging me to confess, and I had decided that I would confess it right after I finish eating.

When I was done eating, I stood up and walked towards him. Halfway through my walk, I heard a girl calling out his name. When I turned to look at her, she was an unfamiliar face because she wasn't from the same college.

When she called out his name, all the boys surrounding Jacob had excused themselves and started walking in my direction. The girl had walked up to Jacob and hugged him. When they broke the hug, they kissed.

Freya who has been walking behind me had also seen this and asked one of the guys that had been surrounding him moments ago about the girl. That guy revealed that she is Amelia Jones, Jacob's childhood sweetheart and fiancee. He also said that they are gonna get married in 3 months.

I was stunned for a long time until Freya had put her hands on my shoulder. My mind was blank, and I slowly walked backwards in disbelief. When I turned over to walk out of the banquet hall, the waiter who was holding champagne glasses on a plate, bumped into me.

The champagne was all over my dress and the waiter was continuously apologising but then I said, "It's fine, it's not your mistake," and left the hall. Freya walked with me in silence.

As soon as we left the hall, I hailed a taxi to go home. We had come to the convocation in my car, but I was neither in the right mood nor in my full conscience to drive home, so I decided to leave by taxi.

When we reached my home, Freya asked nervously, "Are you okay, Kate?"

I slouched on my sofa when I heard her. I was not okay. I was sniffing and taking deep breaths to calm down. When Freya put her hands on my shoulders, that's when I lost control and ended up crying.

"Jacob, he was never available. He has been engaged all this time and I," I said and sobbed before continuing, "I was being a fool to have fallen in love with someone who is already engaged. This wasn't supposed to happen. This is not how it should be. Why?"

Freya kept giving me tissues and said, "It's not your fault, Kate."

"Why did he keep his engagement a secret? Why did the guys keep it a secret when they knew? If they hadn't kept this as a secret, I would have never fallen in love with him. It was never my place and I would never think of coveting other's place. It was that girl, Amelia Jones' place. It has always been hers and here I was trying to confess to him to get her place. This has all been a mistake. A mistake from the very beginning," I cried and hugged Freya.