five | interlude

Y/N Birthday, 1994

"Reggie, shut up."

Alex, Reggie, and Bobby huddled around a cake, trying their best to light the candles that kept on blowing out. " Can you believe she's 16 already? It's just like yesterday she was a little 10 year old that came in my house all dressed up like a princess."

"But now she's the devil incarnate." Bobby said, trying to balance the 1 and 6. " Bobby, it's backwards." Luke pointed out as the numbers spelled out 61. Peeking his head out, a figure in a sparkled tutu can be seen down coming down the steps. Luke rushed back and hushed," She's coming. She's coming.". Reggie shut off the lights of the garage and the boys stood behind a table they set up next to the instruments.

Sniffles were heard the second the door opened. With a click of the lights, the group blew the steamers and rung their noisemakers. All of it falling on top of the tear-stained faced girl.

" HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

Rather than a thank you, a sniffle was given in return.

" Jeez, Y/N, I know you're an emotional person but I didn't expect you to cry." Reggie nervously said, trying to lighten up the mood

Y/N only fell to her knees, tears continuously steaming down her face. " I hate boys."

All four boys looked at each other before backing up, leaving Luke in front to sacrifice to the crying teenage girl. Alex pushed him forward even more, prompting him to go. " She's your freakin sister." Luke whispered to Alex who just hid behind his party hat.

" Okay." Luke walked over to Y/N and kneeled down. " Cmon, pumpkin. Let's get you to a more comfortable position." He lifted her up to sit on the couch. He motioned for the others to get out before he kneeled down in front of her so she was forced to look at him. " You're freezing, Y/N. Where did you even come from?" He said, taking off his jean jacket and slipping it over Y/N's shoulders.

They sat there for a second before Y/N took a breath and used the back of her hand to wipe the snot from her nose. " Ryan- He uh- He broke up with me. Gosh, it's just been such a bad day. I waited for him after class just to see him kissing Meredith. You know the one that used to be in your math class? And these idiots didn't even try to hide it. They were kissing in the dance room! For everyone to see, Luke. He was my ride home from class too." She played her hands, trying to avoid eye contact with Luke despite him making it hard to do so. Luke resorted to putting his hand on Y/N's knee, his thumb moving to soothe her. " On my own birthday too."

Y/N leaned back with a pout on her face and her arms crossed. Luke chuckled and Y/N glared at him, " And you can do is laugh? Like I said, I hate boys." Y/N hid herself into Luke's jacket. " I'm not laughing at that. You just look really cute." That comment made Y/N try to hide herself even more as her cheeks were starting to warm up more. " Ryan is a crappy guy. You are so beautiful, Y/N. You're losing him, he's losing you." He got up and sat next to Luke," Plus doesn't Ryan have braces? Imagine getting your lips stuck in there," Luke sneered as he reaches his finger into his mouth and lifted up his lip, igniting a giggle out of Y/N.

The pair hadn't even noticed how close they were to each other.

Luke had his arm rested behind Y/N as he scooted closer to tease her about having a Ryan braced kiss. His face all up in Y/N's. With a nudge of her elbow, Luke fell forward. Their noses touched and they could feel heartbeats. Y/N watched as Luke's eyes flutter close and lean into her.

You've waiting for this for four years, do it Y/N. Just lean in.

This is your best friend's little sister, who's also your best friend. Both who you think of like family. Don't do it, Luke. But wow does Y/N look so pretty right now.

Just as Y/N made the ultimate decision to close the gap, the knock on the door tore them apart. Luke jumped to the other side of the couch and Y/N stayed put. Alex then came in, " Hey, buddy. You okay?".

Y/N looked over at Luke with a tight lipped smile then back at Alex , " Yeah, perfectly splendid."

Tightly.

Tightly she made the bow that was on placed on top of the chocolate box. She admired her work before shoving it into her backpack and making her into Los Feliz High School. It was February 14th, the day of love. The air filmed with romance. It had been a couple months since her birthday when Luke and her had almost kissed. Since then, she had a lot of hope for her feelings towards him being returned. She skipped into the only class they had together, making a beeline to his desk. She stopped in his tracks when she saw the abundance of gifts that were on his desk. Along with all the gifts, a girl was perched on the edge of Reggie's desk, giggling as Luke whispered something into her ear.

Oh silly you were to think that he liked you back.

Y/N quickly turned and went to her usual seat in the front of them, holding the box close to her chest. Thankfully Luke hadn't saw her walk towards him. She then placed it on the desk behind her, leaving it to Bobby. She felt so embarrassed that she couldn't even look at the gift any longer. So concentrated on forgetting what just happened, she forgot that letter she had placed underneath the chocolates.

_

two things:

1. im sorry if your birthday is before valentines day

2. if the boys dropped out, then y'all

never saw this :P