★ | 003. friday night bites

Book: In The Shadows
Chapter 3: Friday Night Bites
Word Count: 3465

Book: In The ShadowsChapter 3: Friday Night BitesWord Count: 3465

"Caden!"

The Gilbert turned around and shut his car door behind him to see Stefan running up to him with a overly happy expression. He and Elena must have gotten together. "Hey, Stefan." He greeted. "You look happy."

"Yeah, Elena came over last night and she's giving me a chance." Stefan said and the two started to walk towards the school.

"I'm really happy for you to." Caden said. He didn't know what else to say and decided to just stay quiet, staring ahead of himself.

Stefan glanced at him, sensing some tension coming from the other boy. "Is something wrong?"

"Nope." Caden quickly said, putting on a fake smile. "I'm happy, Elena's happy, you're happy. Everybody is happy." He hated how bitter he sounded. "Sorry. I'm just having a bad morning. Ignore me."

"Are you sure?" Stefan grabbed his arm and stopped his walking. "You know I'm your friend, right? You can talk to me if there is something on your mind."

Friend... he felt like he was getting a lot of friends lately and it made him brighten up. "Thank you but I swear, I'm good. There's nothing to talk about." He pulled his arm out of Stefan's grip. "However, I'll be sure to come to you whenever I need to bitch about something." He joked.

"Good." Stefan laughed. The pair kept walking until Stefan spotted Elena and Bonnie. He grabbed onto Caden's arm again, making sure he didn't run off and pulled him towards the two girls. He knew Caden was pretty sure and he was trying to get him to be more social. He didn't know why but he wanted to make Caden happy. "Good morning, Elena. Good morning, Bonnie." He greeted.

Bonnie didn't meet Stefan's eyes and cleared her throat. "Hey, um, I gotta find Caroline. She's not answering her phone. So I'll see you guys later." Elena tried to stop her best friend from leaving but the Bennett was already gone.

"She doesn't like me very much." Stefan said with pursed lips.

"She doesn't know you. She's my best friend. She's just looking out for me. But when she does, she will love you." Elena smiled. "Here's what we're going to do. Are you free tonight?"

"Yes." Stefan answered.

"Perfect. Dinner, my house. 8:00. You, me, and Bonnie. You two will spend some quality time and she'll get to see what a great guy you are. Mission accomplished." She said.

Stefan sighed and looked at the male Gilbert. "I'll go if you go."

Caden looked at Elena hesitantly. "Um, I think Elena just wants it to be you three. I don't want to intrude."

"No, it's no problem." Elena shook her head. "You can come as well." She stared back at Stefan. "There, he's coming. Now you have to come."

Stefan agreed before he spun around, just in time to catch the football that was flying towards his head. Caden jumped back from the force of it hitting Stefan's hand. He looked to where the ball came from and saw Matt and a cocky Tyler. "Dicks." He muttered.