★ | 006. lost girls

Book: In The Shadows, The Vampire Diaries
Chapter 6: Lost Girls
Word Count: 2117

Caden furrowed his eyebrows as he looked out his window to see Stefan standing outside his house

Caden furrowed his eyebrows as he looked out his window to see Stefan standing outside his house. Elena's words echoed in his head, telling him to stay away from him but he couldn't help himself.

He quietly made his way out his room and down the stairs. As slowly as he could, he opened the front door and walked out. "Stefan? What are you doing here?"

"I, um, just wanted to make sure everything was okay." Stefan didn't know how much Elena told him about him being a vampire but from how Caden was acting, he assumed not much.

Caden crossed his arms. "I guess so. Elena is pretty upset though. Told me to stay away from you. What did you do?"

"I..." Stefan shook his head. "We just had an argument."

"Right... it must have been pretty bad."

Stefan shrugged. "We're meeting up tomorrow so I'm sure we'll work it out. Why did you meet me out here? If Elena told you to stay away from me?"

"Because you're my friend and I wanted to hear what you had to say. Elena didn't exactly give me much to go on." Caden sighed. "Elena's not going to want to go out tonight. You should probably go."

Stefan nodded and stuck his hands in his pockets. "Whatever happens between me and Elena, we're still going to be friends, right?" He couldn't help himself but ask.

Caden smiled softly. "Yeah, of course."

★ ★ ★

The next day Caden was sitting in the kitchen, chin on his hand as he stirred his cereal around the bowl, not having eaten a bite yet. He looked up when Elena entered the room. "Hey, you okay?" He asked softly.

She only hummed and moved over to the counter picking up her car keys. She didn't have one bit of a smile on her face and looked like she hadn't slept at all the night before.

"Where are you going?" He questioned again.

She finally stopped in her movements and faced him. He could clearly see the bags under her eyes now. "I, um, I'm going to the Grill. I'm going to see Stefan."

"Oh?" Now he was confused. Wasn't it only last night she was telling him to stay away from the other male?

"Yeah, he wants to talk about... something." She shook her head and gulped. She had to be careful with what she said. She couldn't let Caden in on the truth, she needed to keep him safe and that meant not letting him in on this new world she had found out about.

"Does that mean I don't have to stay away from him anymore?" He asked with a hopeful look.

Elena widened her eyes and shook her head quickly. "No, no, no. You still have to stay away from him."