Chapter 31: Hollywood Romance

"I'm really sorry, Rob. I lost. Don't worry, though; I'd still love to go on a date with you."

"I'm sorry, too, babe. You did your best."

Whoa! I thought. He just called me babe! I was unprepared for that moment that I had to hit the brakes of my car.

"What happened?" asked Robert. "Are you okay?"

"Oh, yeah. Sorry. Almost ran the red light," I lied. "Anyway, are you free tomorrow night? We can do...um, let's see... There's this Japanese restaurant—"

"I can do better. Are you familiar with Le Chaumier?"

"Nico's restaurant?"

"Who?"

"One of my classmates at Chef Maxwell's. His family owns the place."

"He's a Leroy? Nicolas Leroy? They're my clients. Anyway, listen. I have a meeting in five minutes. I'll have Nathaniel Leroy rent out his restaurant for us. It'll be great. Bye, babe. I'll call you later."

There he was with that babe thing again. If he didn't stop, I'd probably crash my car.

When I got home, I slept like a baby and woke up around noon the following day. There was nothing much for me to do, so I thought of dialing Faye's number to invite her for some weekend pampering. And then I realized that she was still not talking to me. Ugh!

I went to Derrick's room, but he hadn't woken up yet. I figured he had had a rough night at the hospital. There was no one else I could think of to drag to a day of skin care and self-pampering.

I decided to go solo instead.

By chance, I had my hair done beside a gay comedian. I wasn't sure what his name was, but I'd seen him on TV a few times.

"Hello, sis!" he greeted me jovially. He was the type of gay to call everyone sis.

"Hi! I recognize you!" I greeted back.

"Wow, English-speaking!" he joked. "Maybe that's why you don't know me—rich people don't watch local TV."

"No, it's not that," I said, smiling and reverting to our local language. "I used to work abroad, so I never really had the chance to follow local shows. I just came back a few months ago."

"Wow, a career woman!" he joked again. "Anyway, my name's Mówcah Usóg, from ABS-ZBN."

"It's a pleasure. I'm BJ."

"I know you, sis," Mówcah said. "I follow your IG account, bjmesoftly. I love it! So witty! And I also saw you on that cooking challenge show with Maxwell Olivier."

"Oh." I smiled. "Thank you."

"How come you don't have pictures with Jiwoo anymore?"

"We'll, we're not really boyfriends. We only did that for fun," I explained.

"Wow, so you guys do things like that for fun, huh? I'm so envious."

"No! That's not what I meant!"

"Sis, I'm just kidding. Anyway, do you have a boyfriend?"

I shook my head in response. "I don't really have one right now. Do you have someone for me?"

"Oh? I don't believe you."

"It's true!" I protested. "Back in Korea, there's an imbalance between the demand and supply of tops and bottoms."

Mówcah laughed. "You mean there are more tops than bottoms?"

"Yes!" I laughed, too. "There's a surplus of tops and a shortage of bottoms. So I literally had guys lining up for me."