VII

Beyond the ocean dark, United Arcan was grappling for that same last light until night settled upon the nation. Cheery voices of children faded as they hurried home for supper like any other day. Streets were thrown into shadow as usual with only a few streetlamps thrusting golden light upon the roads. The sky held no stars and instead were filled with clouds holding a secret rain that would soon catch residents off guard. Only a tattletale heaviness of moisture gave it away to any who were paying attention.

This particular night meant many things to many different people here in U.A. To some, it was just another night home from work, or just another fight with the spouse, or just another scolding to a child who wouldn't eat their vegetables.

For others, like Mallord Beagle, it was filled with a strange apprehension visiting the Fox Sisters and wondering what words they had to say. He could not leave home yesterday which was the initial meeting day. Little Rose had caught cold, and he had to stay home to take care of her while his wife went out to work in the textile factory.

When he had called the Fox Sisters last night, Belinda had answered, and she had been thrilled and understanding. She told him to come the next night if he could spare a few hours. He could.

"Off to where, dear?" his wife had asked him before he could leave.

"Just need to get out of the house for some fresh air." He lied.

"In this cold?" Penelope frowned. Despite it was April, it was still quite cold outside and Mallord wasn't wearing much of anything. Just a thin jacket.

"Just for a bit. I'll be quiet."

She granted him his outing with a curt nod. Penelope wasn't a stupid woman. She was smart. As she pursed her lips, Mallord mirrored her expression. They both knew she had an inkling, but they also knew the topic would not be discussed until Rose was better. Mallord could only hope she would forget about it and never bring it up.

* * *

An hour later, Mallord was standing under lamp light, waiting behind two depressed faces, sunken cheeks, and hopeful hearts. There were two people still lined up outside the Fox Sisters' residence in Lupine, Tokencut State where they held their séances. He read over the letter again as he waited.

Finally, after a thirty-minute wait, it was his turn.

"Ah, Mr. Beagle, apologies for wait," Belinda stood from her séance table, "do sit. We have not much time." Her long black hairstyle and pale face was identical to her sister Adelina who stood beside her. Seeing the two so alike was almost disturbing. The biggest difference was, however, one of Belinda's eyes was a piercing blue.

"You are here to lend powers," Belinda said in a quiet voice, "tonight, are you prepared? We must begin at once."

She gave a knowing glance to her sister and continued, "You must understand also, you must not break circle."

Mallord nodded. "Whatever might happen in the next few hours, right now, my mind is made up."

Belinda gave a solemn nod. Her sister took a seat beside her. Tensions rippled through the air. Belinda closed her eyes. Then, she held out her hand across the table. Mallord took her warm hand, and then he wrapped his hand around Adelina's cold fingers.

"Whatever happens," Belinda said in a voice that seemed to echo all around him, "must not break circle."

"I understand," Mallord said with a nod and closed his eyes. He had been to séances before and knew how they were done, but deep within him, he could already feel this was different. The Fox Sisters were not frauds. At least, not Belinda.