XVII

Eleven fifteen, Michael Beagle and Will Cooper were upon the Florence cleaning up the slave hold and getting ready for a new bunch. The Florence sat at her secretive docks in all her beauty and billowing white sails. She used to be a pirate's ship and some memorabilia still lay within her hull like containers of gunpowder and some stinky leaves that were used for narcotics. Sometimes the older boys would pass the bit around and get a little too dreamy and slur their words like drunkards.

Michael was stressed and wished for this trip to be over so he could go home and be 'a normal boy'. He wanted to go to school again, and he wanted to make a name for himself like his father.

Will, on the other hand, felt as light as a feather. Not only was Richard of the Red Circle coming to assess him, but if he could take this next batch of slaves to the organization over in Iptaj himself with that Roktion slave woman, he would be initiated. He'd met his quota with the number of offerings. 

Soon, they would give him a demon of his own and he was going to be a protector. It was loads of good news to the young man with hair like burnt broccoli.

"Ya see?" he said after explaining to Michael. "Richard would want me as his asset then. For sure."

* * *

On the beach of Bayland Cusp right near the ocean, Richard had made a small cave into his new hideout. He was carving a spear to past the time, sharpening the edge. He didn't even look up when Calvin approached.

"How did you find me?"

Calvin gave a dry laugh. "I know you, Richard."

"And," Richard stood, feeling rather happy about what will come together tomorrow, "and, and," He squeezed Calvin's cheeks between his hands, "I know you."

Calvin shoved him away. "I'm over Richard."

Richard hadn't seen this in a vision, but it didn't bother him. "You can leave. We're not bound by blood contract," he said with a shrug. "Neither do you need my permission."

Calvin sighed. "I've been by your side all the way ups and downs, everything. I would worry if I left without knowing if you'd be okay, okay? There, I said it. Happy now? You probably already heard it. You probably already saw it! You knew it was coming. I'm tired of this!"

Richard arched a brow. Calvin was getting upset and he didn't see what it could be.

"I'm tired of all your shit, Richard. You can see but then you can't. You have a demon but then you don't. You tell the truth but then you lie that you're telling the truth. And all the bit back in Lwendolen thirty years ago, you said it would work out, then the Red Circle died in Lwendolen. No matter what you say."

* * * * *

Calvin closed his eyes briefly, feeling his emotions near-overwhelm him. Even a grown man, he felt like he might cry. Richard didn't see. His facial expression was indifference. Not that he didn't care, he didn't understand like most people did. Richard stood and grabbed his wrist, pulling him into a hug.

"I'm sorry for your agony." The words that fell from Richard's mouth were the emotionless words of a 'Mr. Nobody'. They were empty. This man was nothing and no one. He existed, but he didn't. It hurt even more. Calvin shoved Richard away.

"I'm through. Done. No more." Calvin turned and began to walk away.

"You're the only man I truly trust. My only friend," Richard called.

"See!" Calvin threw his arms up in the air. "You say that with no meaning behind. Nothing! I'm fed up and I'm not coming back. Don't even see me in the future. Goodbye, Richard."

He turned his back and wiped his tears away. Once upon a time, when they were both young, they were lovers until the day Calvin found out that Richard was immortal and wouldn't grow old with him.

"I should've left then," he whispered as rain began to fall.

* * * * *

Richard watched Calvin leave until he disappeared up the bank. None of his visions showed Calvin or himself for that matter. After all this time, he just realized it today.

"I could not foresee it," he said to the shadows of the cave. "I could never see my own future, could I?"

The shadow swayed side to side as Charcoal shook his head.

"You still want him."

"But I haven't a heart." Richard paused to listen to the whispers of rain. "Thanks to you, Charlie," he added with a hint of sarcasm.

"You're very welcome," Charcoal said with a chuckle.

As the rainstorm intensified, man and demon waited for fates to converge on the docks. At eleven thirty, the revolution would begin. At noon, the end would meet the beginning.

A middle-aged woman materialized in front of the cave. "Master, the preparations have been made. We can soon be on our way to Koltsland."

"What of Marbas?" Charcoal asked.

The woman turned into a little boy. "Reached. Once the host is ready, he will come."

"Thank you, Tovmeyidnann."

Richard beckoned to it. "And when were you going to tell me about Anastasia whispering about Naitumari in her sleep? Charcoal tells me you knew on the first night she came. Valuable clue."

Tommy-and-Anna vanished, but its voice remained. "When I felt like it."

==========

Note: Author here!

Will Cooper met his quota? Offerings? What is going on in Iptaj? What's a protector?

Also we have Tommy-and-Anna returning to the scene with information. "Naitumari". What is this that Anastasia has been saying in her sleep and seeing in her dreams?