XXI

That night, while anger cooled in the Beagle home in U.A., so did the breeze. It lifted the heat and the nation sighed in relief. Such a big sigh it was that it sent the same breeze across the yonder seas to Koltsland. Here, stars speckled the indigo sky and the breeze waltzed through towns that had remained for a hundred years.

In the farthest, remotest village in Glaid, Allen Steel clanked glasses with his best mate Owen Oren. A month had passed since they returned home. The jolly Koltts were chatting it out in Allen's house after a long day of work and much good news. The iron business was settling its gears into the unfamiliar soils of U.A. in collaboration with the knowledgeable companies up in Glaid. But that wasn't the only reason to celebrate tonight.

Both men had met women at a newly opened tavern not far from the populous center of Glaid. Allen and Owen had promised to take the women out the coming weekend.

"Oof, I think I'll call it a night early. Night, Allen," Owen announced and left.

After the door closed, Allen's smile lingered. He had finally found happiness and soon, maybe a wife. He drank the rest of the cheer and called it a day, content and peaceful for the first time in over three decades. No longer did he lament over his past life. Allen Steel was moving on.

* * *

At the same time, Owen Orem, in front of his house, was also moving on. Moving on to another life, possibly one of no return. Richard dragged his unconscious body across the ground and had Charcoal help haul the chubby man into the carriage. Tommy-and-Anna as Tommy in the driver's seat sent the horses galloping away.

Allen wouldn't know of Owen's disappearance until morning.