Chapter 11

A WEEKS LATER

"Hanabi you turned on the oven as I asked you, right?" Hinata said coming into the kitchen area getting back from the store.

Hanabi paused with wide eyes knowing she did not turn it on.  "ummmmmm yes." she then darts to the oven and noticed it was in fact on. She heard a light cough coming from Neji who was sitting at the Island with his work laptop out. He gave her a slight nod and smiled because he was the one that turned it on for her when Hinata left to get more ingredients.

Tenten who was standing next to Neji mixing the fist batch in the bowl, giggled watching them. Her attention then landed on the tall man with almost white hair now walking in behind Hinata carrying some grocery bags. "oh, Toneri what are you doing here?" she asked.

"He saw me walking from the store down the block and offered me a ride. Honestly, you didn't have to do that but thank you again." Hinata said lightly as he placed the bag on the counter.

He smiled at her "Not a problem, your father asked me to come here, to go over a few business things. I saw you and thought what kind of friend would I be to let you walk."

Hinata smiled at him now pulling out the extra ingredients that she ran out of "again thank you." 

Neji rolled his eyes and scoffed a little catching Hinatas attention.

"Neji," she said, "why dont you join us this time and make some dog treats for the adoption event tomorrow?"

He stuck his nose up a bit "I am far to busy with work."

Tenten leaned over with the bowl still in her arms "you're playing solitaire" 

He quickly moved the laptop out of her view giving his girlfriend the look.

Tenten and the girls started laughing as they continue to make their way around the kitchen.

"Could I help? I have time because it looks like your father is running late" Toneri asked in his gentle voice.

"of course you can," Hinata smiled lightly then looked around for the flour. "why dont you roll the dough out so that Hanabi and I can cut and put them in the oven."

As soon as Hinata was helping Toneri, Hanabi went snooping through the bag just got brought in. "oh Hinata, these cookie cutters are so cute!"

Hanabi pulled out some with different shapes like a dog bone, fire hydrant, and one that just said 'yes'. She lifted that one up "why did you get this one?"

Hinata smiled "well Tamaki said that the event would be called 'Will You Adopt Me?' so I said I would make a few baggies that said yes for those that get adopted as a gift.

"That's a cute idea!" Tenten said putting her now perfectly mixed dough on the flower-covered space for Toneri to roll out.

The group works hard to make the treats and there was nothing but positivity in the air. Hinata was now sitting next to Neji putting the already done treats in the individual baggies. She looked over to see Hanabi and Toneri talking and laughing. She was impressed with how kind he would be with Hanabi even when she would make her unfiltered comments.

Just then they hear the door open and close with her father walking calmly into the kitchen area with everyone else. "Toneri, I do apologize for being late. Some unexpected things happened and it was a matter that needed to be taken care of."

"Is everything okay father?" Hinata asked.

He gently shook his head "nothing to worry about, all taken care of." his focus was now on the young Otsutsuki "glad to see you spending time with Hinata and the rest of the family. Because I am so late let's reschedule the meeting for tomorrow and we will all go out to have dinner."