"I don't blame her. Do you know who the father was?"

    "I do, but only a few people were supposed to know."

    Padmé laughed. "Typical Mairin. She loved to add dramatic effect to everything."

    "Yes, she did."

    Padmé gathered up a few things and moved towards her office. Riyo stood and looked out a window, waiting for her to return. There was something unusual in the distance. "The Chancellor just announced an emergency session," Padmé said, coming back into the main room.

    "The Jedi Temple is on fire," Riyo whispered.

    "What?" Padmé darted to the window and followed Riyo's gaze. Smoke poured from the lower hangars of the Temple. It seemed to be thinning, though. "Come on. We'd better go." She grabbed Riyo's hand.

    They jumped into a speeder that was parked on Padmé's private landing pad. In a few minutes, they had reached the Senate Building. The smoking Temple disappeared from sight once they entered the crimson halls.

    The hallways were already filled with dozens of Senators. Padmé and Riyo quickly found a group seat and situated themselves. Bail Organa and Mon Mothma joined them shortly. The clamor only continued to grow as more and more senators arrived.

    "What happened?" Riyo asked, turning to Bail.

    "I don't know," he replied, worry creasing his forehead.

    The Senate grew quiet at last, when the Chancellor's seat appeared. Chancellor Palpatine stood and raised his hands. "My friends, another tragedy has struck. Someone has bombed the gunship hangars of the Jedi Temple." A collective gasp rippled throughout the chamber. "I assure you, we will be safe. I've heard who is to be in charge of the investigation and I know them to be trustworthy."

    "How could the Separatist's attack the Jedi Temple?" Someone shouted.

    "Unfortunately, I don't believe it was a Separatist attack. I believe that this attack came from someone who was disgruntled by the war. Civilians, or perhaps..." the Chancellor inclined his head, "a rogue Jedi."

    Whispers emerged once again. "Could the Jedi really do that?" Padme whispered. "Who among them would do such a thing?"

    "Because of this, I have a question for the Senate. Do we need to involve the military police in this investigation? After all, clones were killed in the explosion as well, and they are property of the Republic," Chancellor Palpatine continued.

    Riyo gritted her teeth at the statement. They aren't property. They're living beings, not droids!

    "The Jedi will never allow that!" Senator Lott Dod shouted.

    "The Jedi are becoming too involved in the matters of the Republic for my taste," Senator Burtoni said. "I say we involve the military police."

    "Kamino hasn't been a part of the Republic for long!" Someone else protested. "What would Senator Burtoni know about the Jedi?"

    "Burtoni is right. The Senate deals with matters of the Republic and warfare. The Jedi should stick with their peacekeeping!" Another Senator added.

    "Senators, please," Chancellor Palpatine raised his hands again. "I can see that this is a controversial topic. I have a proposal. Let us see how quickly and quietly the Jedi can resolve this matter. If the Senate is not pleased with the results of their investigation, we will hold a vote, on whether or not we involve the military police. Do rest assured, though. The culprit will face justice at the hands of the Jedi and the Republic."

    The senators began whispering again, but there were no more protests. "Then let it be so!" Mas Amedda announced. The Chancellor's seat descended, signaling the end of the meeting.

    Padmé glanced at the monitor within their seat. A message had appeared on it. "Riyo, Chancellor Palpatine wants to speak with us."

    Riyo stood. "Excuse us, Senators." They bowed to Bail and Mon Mothma, then stepped back into the hallways. Padmé led the way towards the Chancellor's office. They were let inside immediately when they arrived.

    "Ah, Senators, thank you for coming so quickly," Chancellor Palpatine said.

    "How can we help, Chancellor?" Riyo asked.

    "I know that the two of you have a few friends who are Jedi. I was hoping that you could ask them about the investigation? We need to stay updated on what they find. Master Windu will only tell me the basics. You can, of course, tell them what the Senate is currently discussing."

    "We could try, but I don't think the Jedi will share very much with us," Padmé replied.

    "Surely Master Skywalker or Master Kenobi will? Or, perhaps Master Yoda?" Chancellor Palpatine looked in between the two of them.

    "We'll see what we can do, your Excellency," Riyo promised.

    "That is all I ask."

    They stepped out of the office as quickly as they had arrived. "Are you coming back to the apartments now?" Padmé asked.

    Riyo shook her head. "I left some of my work here. I should get it before I forget. I'll stop by your apartments again tomorrow."

    Padmé nodded. "I'll see you then."

    Riyo headed off in the opposite direction. The Senate was already somewhat vacant. Most of the Senators and their attendants had left. Only staff remained. I hate being here when it's so quiet. It's...eerie, Riyo thought. I hope there will be a speeder nearby, or I'll have to contact Delaney or Captain Tere and have them come get me. She entered her office and let the door close behind her.

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Senate Building
Commander Fox

    Fox hesitated outside of the lift. She won't want to see me, especially after how our last interaction went. He pulled his hand away from the panel. After a moment, Fox let out a sigh and activated the lift. He stepped inside and selected the level where Riyo's office was located. But Clay is right. I've owed her an explanation and apology for long enough.

    The lift halted a few levels up. Fox walked out and approached the door to her office. He knew she was there. He'd seen her leave the Chancellor's office and overheard her talking to Senator Amidala. Fox bit his lip and activated the door buzzer.

    A second later, the door hissed open. "Come in," Riyo called.

    Fox entered and moved towards her office area. Riyo stiffened at the sight of him. "Senator, there's something I need to speak with you about." He jerked his head towards the security cameras in the upper corners of the room. They had been recently installed, following all of the attacks that the Senate had suffered.

    Riyo stared at him, then nodded. "Give me a moment."

    He hovered by the door while she grabbed a few datapads and switched off the monitors on her desk. Riyo brushed past him and led the way out to a landing pad, after locking her office.

    "We can talk here," Fox said.

    "No, we'll go to my apartments. I'm tired but have work to do. I'd rather be there so I can get things done," Riyo countered. She jumped into a speeder and started it up. Fox climbed in beside her.

    Minutes later, they reached her private landing pad at the Senate apartments. Fox followed her into her home office. Riyo sat down behind her desk and situated her datapads. She folded her hands atop the desk, finally.

    "All right. I'm ready to listen," she said.