Hope and Pray (Book 1, S2)

Grace looks at Cain and Nero and tells them she will be going with Athena to look around the building.

Cain turns to Peter and asks, "How did you end up here?" Peter looks from Nero to Cain and describes his adventure, " I was coming back from Dorado with my dad when out of nowhere he vanished from the horse. It was cloudy, then boom blinding light, then he was gone. I knew at that instant that it was the work of the gods. I didn't want to go home, so I decided I would repor the issue to the council.When I walked in it was lifeless. The candles were burning, but not a soul in the building. Since no one was here, I decided to go home and tell my mom what just happened. When I was about to leave I ran into Athena and she told me she was knitting with her mother then she vanished. Athena was distraught and talked about how her father was in the barracks on the Southern border and didn't know where to go. I was comforting her when a kid about 8 years old who was freezing walked in screaming for his parents to come back. We calmed the kid down and then all of a sudden all these other kids kept coming in saying their parents are gone. I figured that my mom wouldn't be home either so Athena and I began taking care of the kids. Did you know this place is huge and has tons of rooms and extras blankets and extra food in case of emergencies? I'm just happy to see you Cain. And you to Nero. But do you know why the gods did this? Nero and Cain both stared at the floor.

Athena began showing Grace all the places they were using at the Council Chambers. She then asked her, "Are you the daughter of Joan Stormlong?" Grace shyly nodded her head. Athena went on to talk about Grace's mother, "Your mom, Joan, was teaching me how to become a midwife at the clinic. You also look very similar to her.  I heard your mother was feeling ill, was it true?" Grace gingerly says, "The doctor was supposed to come and see her soon." Grace begins to shed a tear. Immediately she wipes it away and proceeds, "It doesn't matter anymore for the time being. But do you mind telling me how you ended up here?" 

 Athena chuckles and tells Grace  her story, "I was knitting with my mother and enjoying her company when she vanished. She was telling me a story of the first time she met her father.  I mean I freaked out and searched the whole place. After a couple of hours I decided to go check the council chambers. I took the only horse we owned and raced as fast as I could. I found Peter and we talked about what happened. I was still a wreck." Athena sighed and continued, "We were going to leave and check something out in another town then kids kept coming in. Peter and I were the oldest so we began looking after all of them. Do you know what happened?" Grace nods her head as Athena continues, " I think we should join your other friends. I hope you enjoyed the tour." 

Cain and Nero walked into a corner and were discussing what was happening. Grace walks over and joined the two brothers as Athena heads towards the kitchens.

Nero  begins talking, "While Cain was talking to Peter I searched around the back and I'm slightly concerned that we may not have enough food to feed everyone if more people come in." Cain says, "But that shouldn't be a problem, since harvest was two weeks ago. Don't forget that each town has a silo and this year was a good year. Praise to be Isis. The silo is supposed to be somewhere close to the chambers." Grace chimes in, "Not to dismay anyone, but we are lucky that this has happened after harvest.  But what about the people who can't take care of themselves? What's going to happen to them?"

Cain says, "Someone needs to step up." Nero says, "How? We don't have people from other towns to make a council." Cain says, "Does that matter at a time like this?" Nero retorts, " Just because we are in the capital doesn't give us the right to be in charge." Grace says, "but if someone doesn't take leadership soon, a lot of people could end up dead when they were innocent." Cain adds, "Everyone is innocent in that case." Nero says, "Someone will eventually rise to the occasion and when that happens things will go to a new normal. It's a slippery slope if we just allow someone to take control and power." Grace argues, "Clearly it's an entire city phenomenon and since no one from the other towns has shown up then it must be a nationwide event."