Chapter 9

*Angel's POV*

The sand tickles my feet. There is one plus to being the youngest and smallest one in the arena-I can hide. Right after that boy committed suicide and the clock chimed, many people were staring at where he stood only moments ago and no one even looked at me. My number does read 23 though, so I'm not sure if that means they will kill me first, or use their strength on others. I never got a chance to show that I can actually handle myself in a fight, but none of us really did. So, I dash towards and grab a backpack from the cornucopia, slouching the entire time, and then I run off, away from the woods in which I knew everyone would go. I stop when I find a giant dip in the sands and realize the darkness will cover me and I make myself a camp. I look around to make sure no one is in a good distance of me before opening up my pack. It is a pretty good haul. I have some bread, a Gallon of water-what I will need the most if I don't go to the woods, and a gun. Wow. They have never allowed a gun to enter the arena before. That was only something the Peacekeepers have had. My hands brushes up against something else, but as I look down, my eye does not catch sight of anything. I grab for it though, and when I pull it out, I am at a loss of not only words, but also, thoughts.

It is a blanket, a huge blanket, the blanket I had heard so much about from my friends, but I didn't know it actually existed."It's basically an invisibility cloak. The fabric is so fine yet so expensive that when the sun catches it, the blanket just reflects whatever colors surround it-whatever is supposed to be there." One of my friends gawked as this is said. I smile, thinking back to when gossip was the biggest deal on my mind. 

*2 days later*

After running dangerously low on water as well as food, I decide to make my way to the edge of the forrest with the most difficult terrain. I may die doing this, but the camp is too deadly for anyone to camp. My eyes dart around for any movement, with my gun awkwardly in my hand, and I see a boy make a move to go behind the tree I was about to dash though. I stop in my tracks, the wind has picked up and he hasn't noticed me. The mild sandstorm gives me coverage as I start to think, slowly making a circle around the tree to another about 20 yards away. That's when I hear a loud crack as well as a loud rumbling sound and I look towards that boy to see boulders, each with a radius of up to 10 feet, come crashing down to that tree. He attempts to escape, but his body is crushed immediately by another boulder ending his fate. The unfamiliar sound of the cannon erupts and I realize that he is only the fourth one dead in the first 3 days. Hopefully, he went quickly. The rest of us won't. These will probably be the longest games in history, I think to myself, but then I hear the same cracking sounds at a distance, and I soon hear 4 more screams, as well as 3 cannons go off, and I just sit there, wondering who the deceased are...or well were.