24

part iii

part iii

AURORA

The hours ticked by and the party was in full swing. Laughter echoed into the sky and the lights around us twinkled like stars, lighting up the garden around us. Waiters circled through the crowd, with champagne constantly on tap to grab.

It was like I was in some alternate universe, but the arm linked around my own reminded me that I wasn't. One look at Asher's handsome face, one smile or slight twinkle in his eye reminded it was real.

We met many names and faces, none of which I could remember. Every Hillary, Karen and Barbra all looked the same to me. Each with a fake smile, and faux interest in who I was. That is, the ones who bothered to ask. But nonetheless, Asher was by my side throughout it all. His continuous murmurs of encouragement and kisses to my temple helped to calm my racing heart.

I spotted Rose and Eric in the distance, mingling with the masses. The two of them nodding along respectively as a snobby looking man in a suit rambled on and on. His wife stood poised beside him, acting as though hadn't been kissing another man in the closet half an hour earlier. She walked past Asher and I as she adjusted her dress, only for ruffled looking man to exit the closet after her.

The crease in Asher's forehead, the disgust in his eyes as he explained the dark secrets of this society were quite common. As much as people tried to hide them... emphasis on tried. He hated these people, that much was obvious. He smiled and chatted when he had to, most conversations being about football and his potential for the NFL. It wasn't something Asher and I had talked about much, or something I had really thought about. I didn't want to think about it. I just wanted to focus on the here and now with him.

"You okay?" His voice broke me out of my thoughts as we stood at the side of the dance floor.

I nodded, smiling up to him affectionately. "Just thinking."

Asher hummed, tugging me gently to stand in front of him. His hands found their way around my waist, as his chin gently lay on my head. I felt his content sigh, as the tip of his nose brushed along my head to my ear, "You look so beautiful tonight." He whispered into my ear.

I was glad in that moment that I wasn't facing him, as blood rushed to my cheeks. "Likewise," I managed to respond.

"Beautiful? I'll add that to the list underneath gorgeous, sexy, talented, god-like—"

"Are you serious?" I turned to find his devilishly handsome smirk curving down to me, the ever present joy in his eyes visible. He placed a cheeky peck to my lips before continuing to sway us from side to side with the beat of the music.