28

AURORA

AURORA

Nothing could pull the smile that was etched across my face. I feel the bubble in my stomach widening in excitement as I tried to weave my way around all the couples around me. It was normal to sleep with your boyfriend, that is what I to keep reminding myself. That before everything it wasn't a big deal, so why should it be now?

I gave my shoulders a little shake as I shrugged off any doubts in my head. I tried to peek over the heads in the crowd that bustled around excitedly with drinks in their hands, as midnight fast approached.

A flick of short, blonde hair ahead made me spot Cass, who was dancing like her limbs were noodles. Tyler was sitting on a stool by the bar pinching his between his eyebrows.

"You look like you could use a drink," I smirked at him as he noticed my presence.

"I could use about ten," Tyler laughed, shaking his head as Cassidy began to twirl. "I chose to simply give up," he gestured towards Cassidy with an lazy, amused grin.

"You admitted defeat?"

"Doesn't happen often," Tyler winked playfully.

The pair of them seemed good together, and as long as he made my best friend happy, that was good enough for me.

"Asher and I are going to call it a night, but I wanted to wish you guys a Happy New Year before we left."

Surprise flickered in Tyler's eyes before he smirked knowingly, "Oh are you now?" I couldn't help but roll my eyes as he raised his eyebrows. "Well Rory, have a Happy New Year, and tell my brother the same," I blushed a little when he kissed both of my cheeks, but my heart warmed at him calling Asher his brother. Asher has never done into detail about how they became friends but he described his friendship with Tyler, and what was once also a friendship with Alex, as the brothers he always wished he had.

Turning around, I attempted to explain to Cass that I was leaving but all I got were a bunch of reasons of why I had to dance with her. Luckily Tyler swooped in and wrapped Cass into his arms as he shooed me off.

I turned around waving distractedly, as I accidentally bumped into someone's chest. I stumbled and the person's hands steadied my waist, but by the time I whipped my head around and had begun to apologise, he was already walking away with his back turned to me. I lost his brown head of hair in the crowd as people bustled past, but if he didn't care then I didn't need to either. I made my way to foyer, zipping my purse up fully as I slung it over my right shoulder and quickened my steps.

My heels clopped along the mahogany floor with meaning as I reached the door, but it seemed as though I'd beaten Asher here. With everyone is the bustle of the party, the hallway was empty. My head peered around the corner of the room on my left to find it in darkness, moonlight streaming through the window illuminating the only object in the room. A grand piano. I hadn't played it years, but an entire childhood of lessons wouldn't just disappear. Piano was my only other escape besides surfing. Dad used to always prop his chin on his hand, as he leaned his elbow lid of my piano. Mom would be cooking in kitchen humming along, as Dad would only watch and listen, his eyes closed contently.