Thirty-Nine

Leon

The jet was plunging to the ground, but still I managed to jump into the cockpit and yank the joystick up, pulling us up just before we hit the ground with a fiery explosion. It was only then that Aza returned with the noticeable absence of Julian by her side. Before I could ask her why that was the case, I was enveloped by a golden light and sent elsewhere.

Stumbling a bit on the uneven ground, I looked up to find myself staring at Aubrey. Abruptly, I lost my footing and collapsed to the ground, my hand shooting out in an attempt to stop her.

"Welcome, Lagos-16," Aubrey said.

Looking around, I realized that the rest of my squad — minus Julian and an invisible Nadia — was present as well. We were arranged in a semicircle facing Aubrey, Aza standing off to the side.

"Where's Julian?" I asked. "Is he saving our squadmates?"

I knew Aubrey was apparently an alien, but she was my friend so long I wanted to trust her. Believing her to have good intentions just felt right.

"Where is he?" Aubrey asked, turning to Aza.

She shrugged. "I wasn't that specific."

"Bring him here," Aubrey commanded. "I do feel saving our old squad sounds worthwhile."

I couldn't help but smile, overjoyed that Aubrey cared about our squadmates just as much as I did. It meant, despite everything, she was still my friend. Even if she was an alien, she possessed far more care for our friends than the Council had, and I was glad for that.

"Thank you," I said.

"Don't trust her, Leon," Tass said instantly. "She's an alien."

Aubrey laughed at that, clearly signifying that she thought it was stupid to assume that she was untrustworthy simply because she was an alien. I was tempted to laugh too, wondering how I was ever so skeptical of Aubrey. She was on our side. She was my friend.

"Why isn't Julian here yet?" Aubrey snapped at Aza.

"Because I have to search for him," Aza replied. "It takes a bit. Oh wait, I got it."

With a flash of golden light, Julian suddenly appeared... and stabbed a jagged rock into Aza's chest, drawing a large splurt of blood as she dropped to the ground from the pushing force.

Suddenly realizing it was Aza he stabbed, Julian yelled, "That's what you get for betraying me!"

He glared down at her for a second before a look of worry crossed his face. Quickly, he dropped down beside her to press his hand to her wound — causing her to flinch — and healed her up.

"Hakim, I'm sorry, okay?" Aza hissed. "I don't exactly have control of the universe!"

"That's a wonderful excuse. What did you do, think of it in a millisecond?"

"Hakim, I really wanted to be your best friend. That wasn't a lie. I even saved your squad."

Julian looked up at us, frowning.

"Hi," Tass said. "What is going on?"

That was my question. Last I knew, Julian and Aza got along, so to see them suddenly yelling and getting angry at each other confused me. It was atypical behavior, especially for Julian, who was usually nice to everybody.

Rather than respond, Julian stared long and hard at Aubrey. After a few seconds, rather than speak to Tass, he turned back to Aza.

"You're working with Aubrey," Julian said. "I already know she's an alien. Does that mean the Offenders are run by aliens?"