Chapter 31: Nothing

Start from the beginning

Let's be real, what was I honestly going to get done in that short amount of time anyway?

Nothing. Exactly.

So, I forgot about the shitty work I had and turned on my phone.

I felt my stomach drop faintly at the absent of notifications from Jace, but that didn't matter too much. I had a plan.

After work I was going to show up at his apartment and then take him out to get food. Nothing special, just takeout and then we can take it to a park and eat it there. It's nothing special, but something I think we would both enjoy.

The thought of messaging him crossed my mind but I decided against it. I wanted it to be a surprise, if you could even call it that.

For the rest of my time at work, I sat playing games and looking through social media on my phone, making myself appear busy every time my boss walked past.

-

I killed the engine of my car when I had finally found my way to the garage that is underneath Jace's apartment. I glanced over to the freshly made Chipotle that was in bags on the passenger seat of my car. I specifically remembered how he had told me that his favourite fast food was Chipotle, so that's what I got. Even though it was a twenty-minute drive in the opposite direction from his apartment, I felt it would make it better if I got it, so I did.

I scanned over the almost empty car lot.

I couldn't see his car or motorbike. He must still be out.

I sat in the car waiting for a few minutes before I grew impatient and bored of waiting. I climbed out the car, grabbing and bringing the food with me as I entered the lift.

The lift slowly took me up to the very top floor of the apartment block. When the grey doors opened, I was reminded of that time with that guy. What was his name? Christian? Something like that. I wished to myself that I wouldn't have to see him again.

I stood outside Jace's door and nervously knocked. I couldn't hear any movement from the inside, so I sat down on the floor next to his door. I decided to wait till he got here.

I was extremely bored. Like, extremely bored. I had no idea how long he was going to be.

Maybe I could see if there's a way to break into his apartment...

I stood on my feet and analysed the lock and door handle. I could always watch a video on how to pick a lock? My phone was connected to his internet from the last time I was here... No that's absurd. Leave the door alone and find something to do.

-

I had already eaten most of the food, so if he did turn up, we would have to go to Chipotle again. I was hungry and the food was staring at me. I would've been stupid not to eat it.

My phone was about to die, a consequence for being on it for two and a half hours straight. I checked the time just before it died in my hands. I had been sitting outside his door for three fucking hours.

I debated on whether I should have messaged him.

I didn't know if he had something planned for this evening; it was very presumptuous of me to think he didn't. I just rolled my eyes at my terrible ways of planning things and announced that if he wasn't here in another hour, I would leave and ring him instead.

-

I stood up and dialled his number. I had already tried two times this evening, but both times they went straight to voicemail.

I was sick of sitting on that stupid floor, so I got up and drove home.

The phone rang in my ear.

The first ring passed. No answer. He never answered on the first ring anyway.

The second ring ended. Rarely did he pick up on the second.

The third; still no answer.

Fourth, fifth, sixth; no answer to any of them. I sighed as I ended the call, feeling defeated.

I stared blankly at the screen, waiting for... something. Anything. Willing that he would call back or even send a text. But no, nothing. The worst part was that he was active on Instagram. I didn't know which I hated more, not knowing if he was ignoring me or waiting for him again.

My gut was telling me that even though it had only been three days, there was more to this. I have a reputation of going against my gut and something bad happening. I wasn't prepared for that to happen again.

Maybe I was just overthinking. Over complicating everything. But something didn't feel right. A heaviness formed in the very pit of my stomach. I was trying to convince myself that everything was normal and I had nothing to worry about. He'll probably just text later saying that he got caught up. But even when I said this to Calla and Syd, they didn't buy it so why would I?

It was obvious. Everyone thought that he had left me high and dry again. Honestly, so did I.

But he promised he wouldn't.  

(A/N) ITS GOING TO GET SO GOOD SOON I CANT WAIT