Mewtwo

Ruby pulled herself out of the river, holding Pikachu's limp body. His detective hat had fallen off, but neither of them cared. Even if they did, it was probably long gone by now.

Ruby swam to shore with one arm, and held Pikachu close with the other.

"He's hurt!" she said to the others, who'd managed to pull themselves to shore.

She set Pikachu down at a tree stump, and Weiss, Blake, and Yang ran to her side.

"Is he okay?" Yang asked.

"I'm in bad shape, Rosie," Pikachu moaned.

"I'm here, partner," Ruby said. "I'm here."

"Did you..." Pikachu said, panting through the searing pain in his chest. "D-Did y-y-you just call me partner?"

"Yeah, of course," Ruby said. She didn't care if they heard her talking to him. "You're my partner."

"Yeah, that's right," Pikachu said. "You've... uh..." He breathed out for a moment, relaxing through the pain. "You've got my back."

"Hey, hey, hey!" Ruby said, starting to tear up. "Bud! Hey! Hey!"

Pikachu let out one more final breath, before closing his eyes.

"Pikachu!" Ruby said, sobbing. "Pikachu! No!"

She started sobbing, and she rested her head on his chest.

He hadn't faded into black dust, which meant there was still hope. But they were running out of time, and nobody knew how to heal a Grimm.

Ruby looked around, trying to find some way to save the Grimm she'd grown to love.

Then, she heard a growl.

A beowolf walked out of the forest, and roared at them.

Weiss, Blake, and Yang stood up, holding their weapons ready.

"Hey! We're having a moment!" Yang yelled.

But Ruby remembered something Pikachu had told her.

"You don't need to talk for us to understand," Pikachu said. "We can feel what you're saying. You have to be open to the experience. Try it sometime."

Ruby stood up, holding Pikachu in her arms, and slowly approached the beowolf.

"What are you doing?!" Yang whispered.

"He needs help," Ruby said.

"It won't know what you're saying," Yang said.

"No," Ruby said, looking down at her friend. "But he'll know what I'm feeling."

The others' eyes widened. Nobody in the history of Remnant had ever called a Grimm a he or a she. Pikachu was one thing, but this was a beowolf! They'd always been seen as heartless, soulless monsters!

Ruby looked from Pikachu to the beowolf, and she approached it slowly.

The beowolf snarled at her, but she felt no fear. She needed to save her friend, and this was the best thing she could think of.

She showed Pikachu's limp, slowly breathing body to the beowolf.

"Please," she said. "Is there any way to save him?"

The beowolf stopped growling, and looked at Pikachu.

"Please," Ruby said. "I'm begging you."

The beowolf looked up at Ruby's eyes. It could see the tears, the desperation, and the heartbreak.