"I've gone through their belongings and usurped anything that might be of help. I found more non perishable food, portable camping supplies and some weapons which I've laden our horses with," Luke gestured to Jade's horse whom he had also saddled for the ride. He had never been this gracious before and Jade wondered whether it was a time saving effort or whether he was being chivalrous.

"How many daggers did Dimitri have?" The girl suddenly asked, knowing the answer must be absurd.

"More than the fingers on my hands but he had something else," The Prince replied and help up a round, rough edged object.

Jade sniffed the air and whispered, "Gunpowder."

"Yes, he must have cajoled out some dynamite from the military compounds for they even refused my request to equip us with something more experimental. I wanted the miniaturised canons but was told they can blow off a person's shoulder if not used right."

"I wish we could have seen the military compounds instead of being stuck in the summer palace. Now I shan't get the chance," Jade groused as her fingers made a tentative move to touch the weapon but decided against it before her fingers could land on it.

"Hurry up!" Luke stood up, abruptly, slung his crossbow on his shoulders and announced without meeting her eyes, "If you must follow me then you have to match my speed. I will have no qualms leaving you behind if you slow me down."

"Of course, your Highness," Jade sprang up after him and bowed curtly. She began packing her rucksack's contents. She used the outhouse and came out in a rugged ensemble. The large overcoat had seemed an overkill in the capital's weather but she now could see the weather near the mountain top would suit it perfectly.

Leaving the camp as it, in case, the men awoke in their own Jade and Luke mounted their horses and took a blazing speed that had been impossible with the larger group and the excessive baggage.

Their path was a well defined road in the middle of the grassland that led up straight to the castle. In better times the road must have been extensively used when the village below the castle had been a bustling center of trade. Right now they met no traffic from either sides.

Jade suddenly noticed her companion was slowing down which was very much unexpected. Her horse was not tired and neither was she but she followed his lead in case he meant to go off the path

"What's the delay?" Jade shouted at the top of her lungs.

"Perhaps it would be better to rest for now," The Prince still would not look at her. 

"Or perhaps we should maintain our pace if we are to find the back path before nightfall," Jade's tone was clipped as she understood his intention. Their horses were no where near exhausted.

"We can make it to the cliff before sun down," The man answered in a tone that implied he was lying.

"Don't give me your excuses Prince," The secretary spat out, "I know you want to give my fragile bones an easy rest. I no longer require it. In fact I've begun to enjoy the long horse rides."

"I do not want to you overexet yourself!"

"What gallantry, Your Highness," Jade exclaimed, sarcasm dripping from her voice, "Save it for the girl we're rescuing. I have no use for it."

Jade took a bite of the jerky she pulled out from her rucksack and urged her horse back on the rundown path. The pathway was beginning to look more overgrown the further they went. In mere moments the Prince was back at his former pace along with her.

The pair pushed their horses into a frenzy until after another hour or so the horses began to sweat profusely. These horses were bred for their stamina but it would be inhuman to force them beyond their limits. Jade made a hand signal indicating they should stop and the Prince followed her off the road.