Chapter 24: Friday

I woke up with a not so heavy heart. The conversation we had last night is an eye-opener; the only thing missing is me. I walk towards the window of my room; like Icarus drawn to the sun, I look at the place in awe. The sun's shining early in the morning, no clouds got in its way this time. I can hear the birds chirping and singing their morning song.

I hum while I choose my clothes to wear today. Comparing my moods from the last four days today is the best one I ever got. I can't help myself but smile. Is it the excitement taking effect in my body? Well, I do hope it's the excitement for tonight and not my anxiety. I end up choosing a pink hoodie crop top, a pair of black high-waist jeans, and of course, my go-to converse shoes.

The woman — Marielle — is already in the kitchen, dressed in her uniform with an apron over to avoid getting her clothes dirty, cooking something delicious as always. Dad and Michael are in the living room watching The Amazing World of Gumball while waiting for the food. I joined them and sat on the single-seater couch.

Michael and I are laughing as Gumball and Darwin panicked for thinking that there will be an apocalypse, when in fact it's just an eclipse; the moon twirling over the sun as if to tell that the solar eclipse is already happening still makes me laugh so hard. I caught my father smiling as he looks at me.

"What?" I ask in my best monotonous voice and raise my brow at him.

"I'm glad you're laughing again," he confesses. "I thought I will never be able to see you smile during your stay here, but I was wrong. You remind me of that cheerful little girl you used to be," his smile becomes a sad one. In all of the days, he chooses to be dramatic today. It just drains all my energy seeing him on the verge of his tears.

I look away and try to focus on watching the cartoon; he never loses his cool, so it surprised me when that he's showing his vulnerable state right now. Fortunately, Marielle asks me if I can go upstairs and fetch Michelle. I'd rather face the girl rather than my emotional father.

I let out a sigh and knock on her door. She opens it slightly and looks at me, her hair covering half her face as always, her hand on the door, clearly telling us that no one's allowed to come in. I smile awkwardly at her.

"Breakfast is ready," I say. She nods and finally goes out of her room while fiddling with her ribbon. I contemplated on whether I should help her or just go down and eat. I breathe in and out and take a step towards her, surprising her as always. Does this kid drink coffee? I think she has taken a lot of caffeine. She stayed still as I tie the ribbon in a perfectly-shaped bow for her. She looks at me with bewildered eyes, which I return with a smile before going downstairs — with her behind me.

~▪︎~

I trudge towards the library and settle on my usual spot. Taking out Line's book, I take in the scent of the paperback book — calming me in the process — and read the remaining chapters. I need to finish this by tonight, or else I won't know how it will end; will Gemma heed on her husband's wishes to stay with his family, or will she stand firm on her grounds? Will Bea live with Veronica now that they're reunited, or will she continue living independently, far away from her biological mother? Will Veronica give Nick a chance in her heart, or is she still stuck up with Bea's biological father? And lastly, will Colin Firth even show up? I'm almost nearing the end, yet this actor seems to be very fashionably late!

I roll my eyes and start reading — I won't get anywhere if I complain all-day. I want to skip the chapters and just read the penultimate part, but I stopped myself from doing so; skipping a chapter would be a downright insult to the author, and also the fun of reading — the excitement of finding out how it ends — will be a bore already. As much as I want to get to the ending already, I also want to enjoy the journey along with the characters in the book.