Chapter 1: Sunday

As the last bag was put inside the car's trunk, my mom reached out for me and hugged me. I didn't hug her back, she knows how I hate going far away from them. Not to mention that I'll be staying with my dad's "new family" for a week.

Was my outburst that bad that they'll have to send me away? I sighed as she broke away from the hug. My grandmother went near me and gave me a pack of cookies so that I could eat something along the 9-hour drive on the road.

She gave me a reassuring smile and hugged me too. I've been living with my grandma ever since I was fourteen. She took care of me while my mom went to Davao to find a better job since my father doesn't give — at least me — enough money for a month to sustain my needs. He couldn't even do just that, how much more if I stay at their "humble abode"?

"Everything's settled in." My dad said, getting the attention of everybody. "We better go now if we don't want to be caught in traffic."

I snorted and mumbled under my breath. "As if there's any traffic."

Dad ruffled my hair and gave me a gentle smile, "There'll be a lot of traffics when we reach Cotabato and Ozamis kiddo." He opened the car door and let me inside. He bid farewell to his parents and his ex-wife as he settled in the driver's seat at the front.

"Be safe okay." My mom gave us last reminders before driving away. I looked back at my grandparent's house as it became smaller and smaller as the distance between grew larger.

I sighed and leaned my head on the window. There's nothing to look at outside since it's still three in the morning. The sun's still sleeping and the stars are still enjoying their time up in the black velvety sky.

I rolled down the window — not minding if the aircon was turned on — and let my face feel the coldness of the wind as it passed. I tried counting the streetlights that were on, but later on, I got sidetracked and forgot what number was I in. Was it 24? Or 25?

I tried counting the vehicles passing by — they're mostly ten-to-sixteen-wheeler truck — then I also forgot what number I was in because there aren't a lot of vehicles in the road at this time. Eventually, I got tired of getting myself busy so I decided to sleep. I haven't got enough sleep last night and they woke me up at two-thirty in the morning to prepare.

~▪︎~

I woke up from the noises outside the car. I don't know where we were, all I know is that we're stuck in traffic. Different car honks can be heard — I could even hear the music they're playing.

I dug out my phone from my jacket pocket and checked the time.

It was already eight in the morning. I felt my tummy complain, I sighed and glanced at the window. We haven't had breakfast, all we ate was bread and coffee for dad, and tea for me; I'm not fond of coffee they make me sick.

Dad glanced at me from the rearview mirror. I gave him a nonchalant look before going back to carseeing — if there's sightseeing, there should also be carseeing.

"Are you hungry already?" He asked, he looked so worried. Well, he should be, if my gastritis decided to visit me, well... I don't want to spend my whole road trip vomiting everything out of my stomach.

I nodded and decided to lie down, but then got up eventually when I felt nauseous. The car started moving and I made a mini celebration in my mind.

My eyes sparkled when I saw Jollibee's sign high up, higher than my grades. Dad stopped the car at Jollibee's parking lot.

Every Filipino loves Jollibee. It's like you missed half of your life if you haven't eaten in this fast food. As expected the place was packed with people, some are from this place while some might also be a tourist in this very land, who knows?

"What do you want?" Dad asked as he eyed the board hanging above the counter.

If mom was with me she would just tell me to find us a seat and she'll order for us; she won't even bother to ask me what I want because she already knows my order.

"Burger steak, french fries, and sundae," I said. I still want to order more, but my stomach might not handle it along the ride.

"Alright! Why don't you find us some seat while I order." He said. I only nodded and went to find an empty table.

The secret to it is to scan the surroundings and if you see a free table go for it — it doesn't matter if it's a four-seater or two, as long as it's a free table, trust me, if you show any table etiquette or what-not you won't get anywhere. People in this country can often act as inhumane as they can be.

I sat on the newly cleaned table and waited for my dad. I ate the cookies my grandmother made for me, good thing I had it inside my jacket. Who knew this jacket could also hold a lot of things just like Doraemon's pocket.

The food arrived a little later and we ate in silence. Nobody dared to talk. He knew that if he will start a conversation I would just easily end it with a one-word answer.

I dipped my fries in my sundae and ate it as I drown myself in the noises that people make inside. Dad was on his phone, probably updating either that woman or my mom on our whereabouts. If my estimation is right we would arrive at Aloran this noon. I google mapped it just to be sure, and I was right the ride from General Santos City to Aloran, Misamis Occidental would be at least nine hours.

~▪︎~

The whole ride was quiet, even Taylor Swift's music blaring on the car's speaker and the raindrops aren't noisy enough. I glanced at the window again.

There were a lot of trees. Small houses were built at the mountainside just beside the road. People tend to watch us as our car passed them like it's not every day they see one.

The rain started to get stronger. I watched as the kids from their community started going out, and play and dance as they get soak by the rain. They look so happy, they didn't bother to care what tomorrow's consequence might bring — if they'll be sick or not.

Fogs started to form as we delve deeper into the place. This isn't my first time seeing a fog, but I do remember the first time I saw one.

We were also inside a car going to Pagadian — the Ember family's province. I look like an ignorant fool that I took out my phone and tried to capture an image of random places with the fog. I even took a 25-second video, until I realize that all of them were blurry and I would eventually get used to seeing this whenever we visit the province.

When we arrived at the tunnel, I rolled down the window and put my arm out, trying to reach the walls.

"Novie, put your hand inside. We don't want to arrive in Aloran with you having an injured arm now don't we?" My dad said glancing at the rearview mirror. I reluctantly put my arm back inside.

He's right, who knew what vehicle might go out of control and hit my hand. My mom might skin him alive, and he might lose his position as the favorite son if something bad happens to me.

The window rolled back up. I sighed and leaned my head on the window as I watch every scenery pass by.

Someday, I will live somewhere where there are peace and tranquility. I will live in this kind of place, where the weather is cool and the ambiance is peaceful and silent.