Chapter 29: Friday

The song changed into one of my favorites, and Justin came into view. His left hand, holding my right hand, and his other hand on my waist.

He smiled at me as Taylor Swift sings the first line of Enchanted. The song was enchanting like its title. I feel like I'm in a fairytale story where I waltz in toward the hall and finally saw my prince charming.

"What's with that look?" I asked when I saw him looking at me with an expression I can't discern. It's like he's amused, in awe, happy, sad? And other emotions he decided to show all at once.

"What look?" he feigned innocence, frowning and trying to decode what I just said. I rolled my eyes and discarded our conversation, which made him chuckle. "Do you remember when we were kids? You used to follow me around at church and grab every opportunity you get just to be near me,"

I smile at the memories left in my childhood. I do remember a lot of embarrassing things I did just to get his attention. Sitting on his desk and eat his snacks in front of him, blocking his view whenever he's staring into space, calling his name for no reason, beating other girls to be his partner in parlor games; I could go on with the list, but I'm afraid it will take us until tomorrow.

"I notice," I started as I looked straight into his eyes. He raised his brow and urged me to continue, "ever since I set foot in this town, you never waste an opportunity to remind me of my childhood. Why?"

"For one, that's the only topic we both have in common. I don't know anything about you anymore,"

"And the other reason?"

"Because I miss that girl," his answer has taken me aback; I did not see that coming, "you're surprised, aren't you? I acted cold and distant towards you, ignoring your presence and antics. Truth be told, I like you ever since I first saw you in our church; you radiate some kind of aura that draws me to you - like a moth to a flame - it's warm and vibrant as the summer. It surprised me more when you started talking to me, then eventually pestering me in a good way. I don't know how to react to that sudden attention you gave me, so I played nonchalantly. Every time you call my name with that sweet voice of yours..." he trailed off with a shrug and shook his head as if what he's going to say is mortifying.

I stared at him even more speechless than before. Our bodies swayed along with the music, but my mind seemed to have a trip down memory lane.

I never told him I liked him; I simply expressed it towards my action and believed that action speaks louder than words. But I remember that actions without the right amount of words can be confusing at times. He may have believed at some point that the possibility of me having a crush on him is probable, but it also crossed his mind that I might just be doing those things as an act of friendship - I can't say if sitting on his desk in front of him is an act of friendship.

"I'm a coward for not telling you this, but as I think back to those times, I'm glad I didn't," he said, "we were kids back then, roughly eight or nine? If I told you how I feel back then, we might've been heartbroken at such a young age. At least now, I'll be the only one suffering from the pain,"

"Justin..." I could only utter his name; I don't know what to say. He likes me. All along, he liked me! He reciprocated my feelings for him, but -

"Back then, you liked me, and I like you," he pointed out and glanced behind me, "now, I still like you, but you already like someone else,"

I turn my head only to see Line nearing us. Justin handed me to him, pats his shoulder, and gave him a smile that speaks for a thousand words.

He glanced at me for the last time this night, and the guy I fell head over heels for eight years walked away.