Chapter 34

HELLO EVERYBODY!!!!

OK. If you have any questions about the chapter, please feel free to ask! Also, do you think I should combine like chapter 1 to something and make it one whole chapter since they're very short?

Anyway, please COMMENT and VOTE. I feel very discouraged when nothing happens.

Enjoy.

Eric's POV

"Okay, boys and girls! Have you finished centrifuging everything down?" Ms. Cress asked, gesturing towards her own centrifuge.

We all muttered 'yes' and held tubes of liquid in our hands.

"Okay. Now tape the sides of your tray with masking tape and put the comb in at the positive side. Pour the gel in and make sure it's solidified. Once you've done that, put the tray in the electrophoresis box as we discussed earlier. Oh, and make sure you've taken the tape off. You all know where to go from there," Ms. Cress finished.

Ms. Cress had told us to bring DNA samples from our parents. I cut pieces from my mom, dad, and unfortunately, Jarrett. I just told them we were doing an experiment in class. Zoey, on the other hand, I felt bad for...

She couldn't exactly have her parents' hair UPSed from Europe. She talked to Ms. Cress about it though and Ms. Cress was fine with it.

Zoey and I worked for ten minutes setting the electrophoresis up. Then, we took the micropipette and started dropping in drops into each of the welts made by the comb. Zoey drew the set up of how we had put everything in for the lab papers.

After about an hour, the test was finally done. Zoey and I were tired of waiting, but we had no choice. Stupid electrophoresis...

We both stared at the tray for a while.

That's when I noticed something was off. Zoey's DNA was placed at the end and mine was at the end. My parents' and Jarrett's DNA were in the middle. Looking at the marks made by each person's DNA, it seemed...it seemed as if...no...

"Eric? Did we do something wrong?" Zoey asked, a frown appearing on her face.

"I-I don't know," I stuttered, looking over the box.

"I think we got our DNA switched up...or maybe we just put them in the wrong wells," she said, still frowning. I nodded.

Mom's and Dad's DNA were totally different. They did not share a single band of DNA. Jarrett shared a few of Mom's DNA and Dad's DNA. However, Zoey...

"Eric? Why am I sharing five bands of DNA with your brother?" Zoey asked, worry in her voice.

I couldn't say anything. My throat had gone dry. I shared not one... not ONE band with my...parents.

"We did something wrong," I whispered to her. I glanced up to see her grey eyes staring back at me with worry.

"We should do it again, right?" she asked, calmness returning to her voice.

"Y-yeah," I said, looking at the electrophoresis box again.

We called Ms. Cress over and explained to her that we might have gotten the DNA samples mixed up. She said it was okay and to just switch the names, but we insisted on doing it again.

"Alright guys. Meet me during tenth period. I'll set the electrophoresis up for you. You'll just have to make the samples again. I'll even help you if you're so worried!" she said with a wink. Then she muttered, "You both have never had any margins of error. Huh."

Eric and I glanced at each other worriedly. She was right. There was no...NO chance that we had messed the samples up. Absolutely not. We had perfect memory! How could we...