Chapter 22

Zoey's POV

"Wow. You think they would at least have the decency to put everything in the trash cans. After all, that's what they're for," I said, picking up empty soda cups. It was after the party and everybody had abandoned Eric's house. It was only him and me on cleanup duty.

"Yeah. Well, whatever. Watch if I ever talk to them again," Eric said angrily, rolling his eyes. I laughed.

The party was a real hit. Pretty much the whole school came and my candied apples disappeared once again. It was nine thirty and Eric and I had still not eaten. My stomach rumbled at the thought of food.

"I wonder if we'll ever get this place cleaned," he said, exasperated, putting paper cup in the garbage.

"I'm sure we will. If, of course, we work through the night," I said, grinning.

"You do that," he said, laughing.

We continued for another half hour in silence. Fortunately, all the trick or treaters finished trick or treating at around eight.

"So, what's for dinner?" I asked, hauling the garbage bag to the side of the fence.

"Whatever's in the fridge," Eric said. I could see his face was beaded with sweat and well... it made him look hot.

We went in through the back door of the house and straight into the kitchen. Eric opened the fridge and sure enough, there was nothing there.

"Great. Perfect. Beautiful!" he groaned. "On the day that I'm hungry the most, there's no food. What did Mom expect us to eat, candy?"

"Well, we could do that. Or, I can cook," I said.

"Cook?" he asked, surprised. "You can cook?"

"'Anyone can cook,'" I said, quoting 'Ratatouille." Eric smiled.

"Okay. I'll help," he said.

"No. Why don't you pick out a movie or something?" I asked.

"Yeah. Better to not hurt anyone or break anything," he said, shaking his head and walking off. I chuckled.

Okay, what to make. Eric really likes pasta so I think I'll make some of that. I grabbed some elbows from the shelf and put some water to boil. I grabbed two tomatoes and washed them. I took one tomato, diced it, and put it in the blender to make a puree. Then, I diced the other tomato into fine pieces. I took some basil leaves and garlic and chopped them up. I put the elbows in then and added salt. Once the pasta boiled, I drained it and added the rest of the ingredients. Mixing the pasta until it came to a low simmer, I took out two bowls and forks. I scooped the pasta and voila, food.

To drink, I poured some fruit punch into glasses. Yeah, I'm not ready to make fruit punch.

When I walked into the den, I saw Eric on the sofa. "Dinner's ready," I said, handing a bowl to him and setting my bowl on the table.

"Damn. This smells good," he said, grabbing the bowl. I went back to the kitchen to get the juice.

"Wait. Aren't you gonna eat?" he asked.

"Yeah. The juice is still in the kitchen, so..." I said.

"Wait! Let me get it. The least I can do," he said, hopping off the sofa and jogging to the kitchen.

I grinned. Well, at least he wasn't lazy. I turned to look at the TV and saw Eclipse starting. I started laughing.

"Woah. What's so funny?" he asked, coming back into the living room.