xvi. gift

Why. That was the only thing that she was capable of thinking. There was no way in which that she could justify the actions of the Malfoys. Manipulation? Were they being manipulated by the Dark Lord or did they genuinely support him.

Her grandmother's reaction made it seem that they genuinely supported him, and she couldn't believe she wanted them to join.

After all the things they had done to her, she couldn't believe she expected her and River to join the dark side. She couldn't believe their father was siding with Lucius and Narcissa after everything.

Somehow, they had found a small motel to stay in. A place willing to take them in. They knew that they would be looking for them, and that made sleeping all the harder.

It was sometime in the early morning when Reigna woke up with a gasp, sweating. It was freezing, and the sweat didn't make sense. She looked over at River who was sleeping peacefully and she sighed. How odd.

She lit a candle, taking it with her as she decided she needed some water. She stepped outside of their room with her bag, heading to the kitchens when she heard a noise, almost a whisper.

It was her name, just her name. In a voice that was almost too quiet to be heard.

Reigna stopped in her tracks before leaning against the wall and sitting down, rummaging through her bag.

It was a device. A small device someone had snuck into her bag. Attached was a small note written in handwriting that she knew to belong to an icy blonde.

Deluminator - DM

She blinked, holding the small device in her hand. She had read about it. It was mainly used to remove or return light, so why could she hear her name?

"Reigna.."  There it was again. Clear as day. She heard bits and pieces in a voice she knew too well. Not possible. He seemed to be calling for her. Or calling out to her.

She sighed, closing my eyes and pressed her head against the wall, finally letting her tears fall. the tears that should've fallen a long time ago.

She loved him. She was sure of it. She barely even knew him, but she loved him. It was the best way to describe it.

The tears fell silently and eventually the candle was out. It was just her and her tears under the moonlight. A soft drizzle began to pour down and she cried a bit harder.

The rain that they once bonded over now wept with her. Little did she know, a certain blonde was hiding away in a house that wasn't a home anymore. Her name on his lips and his eyes shut in pain.

He cared for her, for all the wrong reasons. He cared for her because he wasn't supposed to, and that made her all the more appealing.

He hated that she made him weak, and if his father ever found out, she would be killed. So he hoped she'd heard him due to the small gift he had snuck into her bag and he said her name once more before pushing the thought of her out of his head. He sighed and stood up, wiping the tears and clearing his throat before heading back to his bedroom.

The thunder boomed, and the two of them fell asleep under the same sky.