xii. forbidden

All she could remember was the look of pure rage on Lucius' face before he aggressively grabbed Draco's arm and pulled him away from her

"No son of mine will associate with a Kane," is all she heard as Lucius and Draco returned into the ballroom, Draco turning back to look at her briefly before his father slapped the back of his head, forcing him to face front. That look was all she needed to force herself to gain her strength back. If he wanted a Kane, he would get a Kane.

Reigna readjusted the jewels in her hair before returning to the hall, a charming smile plastered on her face. Now was the time to be petty. She looked around, eyes searching for the two heads of bleach blonde hair, and when she spotted them, she smirked, even more so when she saw who they were talking to.

It was a woman who worked at the ministry, Umbridge. She was a close friend of her father's, and luckily, she'd been to their manor enough times to develop a fondness for the dear Archibald Kane's daughter. If there was ever a time to belittle a Malfoy, it was now.

Reigna took a cup, filling it with punch, triple checking to make sure it wasn't spiked. As she approached the three of them, she could tell Umbridge was losing interest, as she looked at her father in the same way once he began talking too much.

"I'd hate to intrude, but I couldn't help myself. Miss Umbridge, I've missed your company dearly." Reigna smiled innocently at her, handing her the cup, "I noticed you were lacking a drink, and no lady should ever drink alone," she teased, lifting her own cup for her to see.

"Darling, it's been so long. You've grown quite a bit. How's your father?" She said, taking the cup from her with a small smile, infatuated by her father as always.

"He's lovely, thank merlin. Although he does miss you dearly. Do stop by soon, I was beginning to miss your company through his awfully long lectures," Reigna joked, completely ignoring the Malfoys.

Umbridge laughed, or, more so cackled. It was enough to agitate Lucius and force Draco to look down at his shoes, no doubt to hide a smile.

"I'm so sorry, it seems I've intruded, I'll be off," She said, turning away slowly, but if she was right, she'd ask me to stay.