iv. mint

It had been days since she had seen the blonde, and she began to think that he'd been avoiding her

It had been days since she had seen the blonde, and she began to think that he'd been avoiding her. That having him stand under the rain with her was a bad idea. She should've realized he wasn't the type to mess around in the rain. He was well known and important. His name had power to it. People like that don't play in puddles. As well as that, she shouldn't have been craving his company anyways. Her family would throw a tantrum if they knew she was even thinking of a Malfoy. Even if it was platonically.

She pushed all thoughts of him away during the week. All she did was study. She went from library to library. Room to room. She explored Hogwarts when she was bored, yet that was a rarity.

Reigna had found two places that she absolutely adored. The first, was the astronomy tower. She loved going up there at night with some candles. The second was an old willow tree on the grounds. It was almost always abandoned, and she had claimed it as hers.

She was making her way back from the willow when she saw him again. Her hair was an absolute mess from the wind, and she was cold, cheeks tinged pink.

"Going somewhere, Kane?" She heard from behind her, and she smiled to herself. She knew that voice.

"Away from you, actually." She replied with a teasing grin, facing him with her eyebrow raised, "Can I help you?" She asked, tilting her head.

He laughed, though it sounded fake. "Never that," He responded, his friends laughing with him. and she'd never been more confused. What did that even mean?

"Right, I'll be off then," She said, beginning to walk away when she heard a whistle. She looked over her shoulder to see Draco and his friends looking at her, except they weren't looking at her, they were looking at her - oh.

Reigna rolled her eyes, turning back around. Boys.

She began walking away, but not before making a final remark, "Look all you want, boys. you'll never get it," She laughed.

She walked away at that, not caring to hear what they had to say in response. She did hear a few laughs though, and that made her smile.

Reigna reunited with Hermione once she was back inside, and they spent hours in the library studying and gossiping. They were on their way to Reigna's chambers so she could grab a jumper when they heard the first bolt of thunder strike. Reigna grinned, saying goodbye to Hermione before rushing to the steps to the astronomy tower.

She had been waiting for it to rain, just for this. Just so she would be able to watch it come down from the tower. She thought it would be a gorgeous sight. She went up those steps as fast as she could, and remembered the candles she had left up there. Rubbing her arms, Reigna stepped through the doorway into the tower.

It was stunning. Absolutely beautiful. The droplets seemed almost frozen in place, and the thunder looked unreal.

She spotted some candles and set them up, lighting them immediately. She sat with her back against the center of the tower, simply looking out.

It was then that she realized she wasn't alone. Reigna looked to her left to see a figure hunched over, leaning against the railing.

Draco.

"Done staring, raindrops?" He whispered, and she could hear the teasing in his tone.

Reigna smiled, relaxed because of the serenity the rain brought. "Never that," She responded quietly, using his words against him.

He turned to look at her after that, the smallest hint of a smile on his face. It confused her.

"Can I ask you something?" She said and he rolled his eyes, "I suppose"

"You're always smiling with your friends, but then I find you alone, looking miserable."

He blinked, turning back and leaning against the railing once more. "Your point, Kane?"

Reigna watched him carefully. "No point. Just an observation, Malfoy." She said, getting the hint that he didn't want to talk.

She rubbed her arms once more, trying to generate some heat. It had gotten colder.

Draco stepped closer, sitting down next to her. At a distance, but he was still there.

"You're an idiot for not wearing your jumper" He said, and she scoffed. "Maybe I like it cold," she replied and at this, he scoffed.

"You're shivering, raindrops," And fuck. He was right. She looked at him and shrugged, and he shook his head, looking out at the clouds.

"Who we are, and who we have to be to survive are very different things." He said quietly, and almost to himself. Reigna furrowed her eyebrows at this, turning herself to face him.

"What?" She asked gently, and he looked up at her.

"My response to your observation," He said, and he left it at that. So she nodded, and turned back to face the sky.

"It smells like mint up here," she pointed out, more to herself, but he heard it.

"Never has before," He replied curtly.

She heard shuffling from beside her, and saw that he was getting up. He pulled his jumper off, and she got the slightest sight of snow white skin. At this, she looked away, confused. He dropped it into her lap, pushing his hair back.

"Don't freeze, raindrops," He mumbled before adjusting the hem of his shirt and heading through the doorway, leaving.

Reigna waited until she could no longer hear footsteps before pulling on the jumper and taking in the warmth.

She opened her eyes, coming to a realization.

The tower didn't smell of mint. Draco's jumper did.

Draco did.