x. affection

The next couple days were full of stolen glances and hidden smiles

The next couple days were full of stolen glances and hidden smiles. Something changed that night in the library.

The Yule Ball was fast approaching, and though Reigna had hoped that he would ask her, there was no sign of that happening. She didn't expect much from him, they were easing into this. Whatever this was.

They couldn't let anyone find out, especially not his father. It was dangerous even looking at each other for too long.

It was Tuesday. The ball was on Friday. Everyone was anxious. As well as that, this week was exam week. The triwizard tournament had distracted them from their impending doom, yet Hermione and Reigna were determined to get top scores.

She'd gotten into the habit of studying through dinner and missing it, having to go down and eat with the kitchen staff at odd hours of the night. That's what she was on her way to do. It was two in the morning and she crept out of her chambers, sneaking into the halls. She was walking when she felt a hand cover her mouth from behind and tried to scream, being pulled into a caved in part of the hall.

Her eyes widened as she saw a smiling blonde in front of her. And she slapped his arm.

"I hate you," She said before he gently pressed his lips against hers.

"I know," He mumbled against her lips, and she couldn't help but smile. He pulled back, and she shook her head, pulling him back in by his collar.

"Not done" She responded before attaching her lips to his once more. They hadn't been this close all day, it was hard sneaking around. She hated it.

Their kiss became a little more feverish, and she felt her cheeks heat up. They hadn't moved past gentle pecks, and she was shocked he was taking initiative.

She pulled back briefly, catching her breath.

"You're flushed,"

"And you're surprising"

At this he smiled, leaning against the wall behind him. "I have my moments,"

She knew that. Against her better judgment, she looked up at him. "So-"

"The Yule Ball, right? "

Obviously he knew what she wanted to talk about. He was intelligent. Only second after Hermione. She nodded dumbly, and he sighed, pushing his hair out of his face before pressing his cold hands to her cheeks.

"I wish it was simpler. That I could take you and we'd be able to dance away the night. But, my father will be there."

Reigna groaned. Leave it to Lucius Malfoy to ruin the Yule Ball. Of course he was going to be there.

"You'll be taking someone else then?" She asked, not able to hide her distaste. He nodded, his face made it clear he was against the idea as well. "My father's picked a girl. A daughter of a friend."

She rolled her eyes, sighing. "Who am I meant to go with," She frowned, looking at him. He shrugged. "Anyone but Evander," and at this, she smiled.

"Jealous, Malfoy?"

"Always," he responded before pressing his lips to hers once more, hand sneaking around her waist, the other resting on her clavicle. They remained like that for far too long, the moonlight keeping them company. Sadly, they had to return to their chambers eventually.

They snuck into the common room, hand in hand before saying goodnight to each other. He pressed a gentle kiss to her forehead. She melted at this. and he smiled.

"Goodnight, Malfoy"

"Goodnight, raindrops"