Chapter 48 - Ripples

One evening, Kristen and Harrison joined her parents having dinner at the Shelter Manor. By the time all the food was served, Kristen realised that a certain someone was still missing from the table.

Harrison saw that everybody around them already began to eat. "Are we not waiting for Ethan?"

"Where is he?" Kristen added.

Javier looked away from them, while Camilla had a hint of sadness in her voice. "I don't think Ethan's going to join us."

Kristen didn't think this was like Ethan as she pointed out, "But he loves meatloaf! I'll call him and see where he's at, he's probably just late or something."

"I don't think we're on the greatest terms with Ethan," Javier said honestly. "I think he just wants some space alone."

"What happened?" Harrison wondered.

Javier shared a look with Camilla to see if they should tell them. Although it wasn't their place to disclose Ethan's relationship with another person, they were increasingly worried as it had been 4 days since they last spoke to him.

"What do you both know about Thomas Miller?" Camilla hinted.

Kristen looked at her husband confused at the seemingly irrelevant question. "He's one of Ethan's closest friends that I can actually tolerate." Kristen laughed.

Harrison laughed along as he added, "We actually haven't spent a lot of time with him, but he seems like a decent person."

Kristen then brought the conversation back to the original focus. "What's that got to do with anything?"

"Ethan and Thomas were in a hidden relationship for 2 months," Camilla told them both. "They just broke up a little while ago."

Kristen's first reaction was to snort with laughter because she thought that they were messing with them. But the serious expression on their faces made Kristen backtrack almost immediately.

"Like a serious one?" Kristen asked confused.

Javier nodded his head as he shared, "We think Ethan's taking this a lot harder than we expected, especially since they haven't even been together for that long."

"Think?" Kristen was shaking her head confused as she wasn't sure how they couldn't be certain about how Ethan was doing.

"Everytime we go to his house, he hides himself in the third bedroom and won't talk until we leave." Camilla told them.

Javier turned to Camilla and asked, "Do you think we were still right to meddle?"

Camilla shrugged her shoulders as she defended their actions. "It's better than the reaction Ethan probably would have had if they lasted longer than 2 months."

"But our son-"

Kristen was shaking her head as she didn't want that little bit of information to slide through the cracks. "What did you guys do?"

Javier was feeling extremely guilty when he reminded himself of what they did. "We pushed for them to breakup, because we didn't think that they were going to get past the long distance between then."

Kristen was horrified as she let her face show it. "You guys had no right to get in the middle of their relationship! You should have just left them alone."

Camilla disagreed as a parent, because she knew that her main interests were to protect her son. "When your baby pops out, you will understand how you will want to look out for the little one at all costs. As awful as you think we look right now, I am not ashamed of how I want to be able to take care of Ethan."