Chapter 9 - Overtime

Author's Note: Long chapter because I didn't want to split this up.

I hope you're all still enjoying this story as much as I am. I have lots of things planned but I can't expand on it more until I have certain later chapters written.

Either way this story won't be ending anytime soon, and I hope you all continue to enjoy it.

~~~~~~~~~~~

It was the second night Ethan was doing overtime, and with the extra hours he was putting into his work, Ethan was feeling useful.

The showcase was planned for next week and Ethan had spent the last 2 days sending emails to large corporations and businesses. Ethan was now working on hiring a catering company at last minute to serve champagne and canapés.

Being the only other person in the office, Harrison was in disbelief as he leaned on Ethan's office door. "Mr Shelton... Pulling another all nighter?"

"Not the fun kind," Ethan laughed. "You heading home?"

Harrison joined Ethan in his office as he took a seat opposite the COO. "Kristen is making dinner tonight. So I need to grab something to eat before I get home."

Ethan knew his sister was a terrible cook as he vividly remembered her last attempt at a chicken and lentil curry. Luckily Ethan saw that some of the chicken was still raw, but unfortunately all of it ended up on the table and not on the plate.

"Is Thomas not around?" Harrison couldn't find the bodyguard in the nearby vicinity, and he knew the bodyguard would usually be around somewhere.

"Don't know, don't care."

Harrison tilted his head at Ethan with a weird look on his face. When Ethan didn't acknowledge it, Harrison didn't dig deeper as he shrugged his shoulders whilst making his way towards the door.

"See you tomorrow." Ethan said as he bid farewell to Harrison. Harrison then waved goodbye to Ethan as he walked towards the elevator.

Ethan looked outside the window, and he could see all the stars twinkling away at him. He looked at his watch and saw how late it was getting, so Ethan let out a tired groan as he planned to finish getting his work done.

~~~~~~~~~~

About an hour later and Ethan was in the middle of a phone call when the lights began to flicker. When he peeked out of the window in his office, Ethan could have sworn he saw an odd shadow leaving the elevator.

Eerie noises came from the blinking overhead lights as Ethan's vision was mixed with the moonlight, and the darkness inside the building. There was absolute silence on the empty office floor - except the sound of 2 different sets of breathing.

Ethan reached out for the baseball bat that he's recently been keeping under his desk. Ethan hung up the phone call as he peeked his head out of the door. He then prepared his stance as he was getting ready to swing.

Just as Ethan stepped one foot outside of his office, he felt himself get pushed off his feet and up against the door. Ethan wasn't able to swing as he was easily disarmed, with the bat dropping onto the ground and the sound of it being the only thing heard in the office.

The unknown figure reached for the lights in Ethan's office and turned them on. Ethan saw the man's face, and Ethan instantly punched the man's chest.

"What the fuck?!"

"Did I scare you?" Thomas beamed at Ethan as he let go of the COO. "Just trying to keep you vigilant."

Ethan moved on to punch Thomas in the arm as he let out his frustration. Thomas took what felt like a deserved amount before stepping out of Ethan's reach.