Difficult Decisions

Começar do início

"Let's get back to Coruscant, Captain," Riyo called. He nodded and they took off.

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Chancellor's Office
Commander Fox

"I haven't found anything to report yet," Fox said. He stared across the desk at the Chancellor. Chancellor Palpatine wasn't even looking at him.

"Well, Commander, you'll just have to keep looking," the Chancellor replied.

"Sir, with all due respect, I've been watching them for two months. If there was something going on, wouldn't we have found out already?"

"The cleverest fiends know how to bide their time. The members of the Jedi Council are old and trained in the ways of patience. They will not act immediately. Their attack will come piece by piece. They'll tear apart their own forces and then their corruption will spread to the rest of the galaxy." The Chancellor turned and gave him a beseeching look. "Don't fall for their tricks."

"You're that certain they'll betray us?" Fox narrowed his eyes.

"One can see the signs all around."

"What signs? I need to know what to look for, if they're so clever at hiding their acts."

Chancellor Palpatine inclined his head. "Whispers amongst the Jedi younglings. The skills of the padawans. The Jedi's involvement in the war. They claim to be keepers of the peace, yet here they are, fighting a war, and dragging the young of their ranks into it. Tell me, how old do you think most padawan learners are?"

"Maybe sixteen?"

"It is becoming more common for Jedi younglings to become padawans as soon as age twelve. They are sending twelve year olds into battle, Commander."

"If you want to get technical, Sir, I am only ten years old myself."

"Yes, but the difference is you have the mind and body of an adult. You are no child. You don't have their innocence or their youth."

We never got the chance, Fox thought. "What whispers did you mean?"

"I've heard the Jedi younglings speak about the growing power of their Order. They claim that no power in the galaxy can stand against them. Their skills and might are growing too quickly for my taste."

"It could just be mindless boasting?"

"Perhaps, but I'm not willing to risk the safety of the Republic by believing that. Neither should you." He leaned forward, a scowl crossing his face. "Keep your eyes and ears open. Senator Chuchi has many friends amongst the Jedi. My protection can only extend so far. Should they attack her somewhere beyond my reaches, you will have only yourself to blame."

Fox stiffened at the thought. He slid his helmet on and left without another word. The Chancellor's gaze bored holes through the back of his head. He didn't relax until the office doors had closed behind him. Fox jumped in a speeder and made his way to the barracks, hoping Clay would be back with a positive report.

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

They unloaded the last bags from the ship and carried them into the apartments. Riyo turned with a smile. "Thank you for your assistance, Clay."

"Any time, Senator. Let's go, Jairo."

Jairo kissed Mairin briefly and tossed his helmet on. The two clones hopped into a speeder and took off. Mairin crossed her arms, a confused and worried expression on her face.

"Mair?" Riyo narrowed her eyes, concerned.

Mairin shook her head and entered the apartments. "I'm going to bed."

Riyo began to speak, but Mairin left before she could. She sighed and entered the apartments behind her. She quickly got ready for bed and slid under her covers. Darkness was descending upon Coruscant, but sleep wouldn't come to her. Riyo tossed and turned, a flurry of thoughts running through her head. Finally, she managed to doze.

A soft sound woke her almost as soon as her eyes had closed. Riyo grimaced, listening. She heard it again, then. A door hissing open and closed. She slid out of bed and stepped into the hall. Mairin was headed towards the front door, with a bag in hand.

"Mairin?" Riyo called. Mair paused, facing her. Riyo approached hesitantly. "What are you doing?" She took Mairin's hand and pulled her onto a nearby sofa. "What's been going on?"

Mairin sighed, closing her eyes briefly. "We're leaving, Jairo and I."

"Why?"

Mairin unbuckled her belt and twisted her poncho to the side, revealing her rounding stomach. "We found out on Junalli. I couldn't leave at first, but we talked to my mother about it on Pantora. We made the decision then. I don't want to have to hide my child and Jairo doesn't want them to be ignorant of who he is. We're going to go somewhere together and raise the baby."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Riyo covered Mairin's hands with her own.

"I was going to. Jairo was supposed to tell Clay and Archer, while I told you. I meant to tell you earlier, but I couldn't find the words. I don't want to leave you here alone, but..."

"Mairin, I'll be fine. I have Padme and Irel still contacts me from time to time. There are other handmaidens to help me. Do what's best for you."

"You really are the best," Mairin smiled. They hugged each other tightly.

"I do expect to see you again someday," Riyo said when they pulled apart. "I need to meet my niece or nephew."

"I think it's a niece, but we don't know yet." Mairin stood and grabbed her bag again. "Oh, Jairo thinks Fox will come asking about us. Clay and Archer will have been told not to tell him anything. We aren't saying where we're going, so you won't have to lie to him."

"Thank you. Now, go, before someone catches you." Riyo pushed Mairin towards the door. Mairin gave her one last look, then sprinted down the hall towards a landing pad.

Riyo let the door close and made her way to a window. A few minutes later, a small ship took off. She sank onto the sofa and let the tears come. The apartment was all too quiet.