IV | My fourteen-year brain had good designs

Vanessa's POV

Vanessa's POV

Silence. Silence. Silence. Silence.

And then:

Boom!

"SISTERS?!" 

Uh, that's what Vlad said. 

"Hey, you think they can't understand English?" I whispered into Essa's ear. Her response was a light elbow to my stomach. "Ouch, I was just trying to light up the mood."

"Wrong timing," she whispered back.

Don't mind her, she was sleep-deprived. Sucks to be her.

"Yes, sisters," Vlad confirmed and waited for their reaction. The nervousness I had evaporated because I was struggling to keep my laughter in. Sorry, but why was this funny to me?

"How?" Michael asked, trailing his eyes in between both of us, observing our features. 

"Screw how. Vlad, they look around 15," I wanted to correct Dimitri's observation but he continued talking, "Ma died nine years ago."

Okay, so what did that have to do with- oh, fuck! That meant that our dad cheated on their mother? That... Even if we never met him or knew much about our dad, knowing such information just made all the random feelings I had for him down the trash.

I blinked. Michael kept his hand on Dimitri's shoulder to stop him from saying anything else and to what looked to me was a small nod towards us. 

Vlad's jaw clenched. Come on, look at me! I did not want this to be true. But, he kept his gaze on Dimitri.

"Adrian, take the twins to their rooms," Vlad told Adrian who awkwardly nodded and motioned us to follow him. 

This turned awkward quick enough.

My feet shuffled against the ground as I took steps careful not to trip over my own feet. I really didn't want to get embarrassed. Just before we left, Michael gave us a small, awkward smile.

What was that supposed to do? Give us comfort? Cuz that only made him look constipated- no offense to him, of course.

"So... what are your names?" Adrian asked as we followed him up the stairs.

"Adessa," Essa answered, her eyes adoring the place. 

"Vanessa," I beamed, putting a hand around my twin's shoulder so he could see the difference. All of us were trying to ignore the thing Dimitri implied. He nodded and mouthed 'cool'.

"Your accent. You guys lived in America?" He tilted his head, curiosity lacing his brown eyes.

"Among many places, yup."

"Hey, Adrian?" Essa spoke up slowly. "Do you know where our rooms are or are you just randomly taking us deeper into the maze?"

Adrian stopped abruptly, making me almost stumble into him. Could've given me a warning to stop, stupid. A sheepish grin adorned his face as he turned on his feet, demeanor telling me he in reality did not know where he was taking us.