Chapter 34: Its name is...

Once Emma was satisfied that Lysa was well enough, she was discharged from the hospital, with strict orders not to leave Vale until after the court hearing. She was fortunate that she wasn't put on complete house arrest; thanks to whatever strings the mayor pulled.

She let out a sigh, staring at her bandaged up right hand. It was difficult to move her finger and she had to take great pains not to get it wet. Not to mention the dressing covering her neck, prompting the stares of other people.

But more importantly was her grey jacket. The tip of the right sleeve was burnt and charred black. It hurt her to see one of her only memento of her parents to be ruined, but it was already a miracle that it didn't burn completely considering the number of times she was engulfed in flames.

Pulling her jacket closer to her chest, she entered the flower shop she usually frequented to buy flowers. She went up to the counter. "Excuse m-"

Lysa cut herself off when she saw the person sitting there. That person, too, reacted, staring at her in shock.

You are... B-

"Amelia, why are you staring like that for?" the shopkeeper asked. "Do you need me to come there?"

Amelia shook her head.

"Good. I will head out for a while."

None of them said anything as the staring continued. Lysa realised that Amelia was staring at her bandaged neck and hand, though she looked away quickly.

"What... kind of flowers... do you want?" she mumbled. Her voice was so soft that Lysa barely heard it.

"Lilies."

"What colour?"

"The white ones?"

Lysa did not mean to make that sound like a question.

After many awkward seconds, Amelia returned with the flowers and handed them to her without a word.

"Um... how much?" Lysa asked.

"It's... on me."

"Thank you."

"Don't mention..." She trailed off quietly without finishing her sentence, ducking her head.

Lysa took the flowers and walked away awkwardly. Now the Aureus Hospital...

Deciding that it was a terrible idea to go alone, she gave Julia a call, not wanting to disturb Kaleo.

"Oh hey, Lysa! What's up?"

"Can you... accompany me to Aureus Hospital?"

"Sorry," Julia spoke apologetically, "I'm really busy now. End of year things. But I can get a friend to help. You know Sam right? The cat guy? That's him. He's probably at the bookstore. Go look for him."

"O-okay."

At the thought of meeting Caligo, the friendly black cat again, Lysa thought it wouldn't be that bad.

True enough, Sam was at the bookstore. He looked at her as she approached. "Aureus Hospital?" he spoke. Julia must have told him about it.

Lysa nodded, half distracted by Caligo greeting her with a tiny mew.

"Let's go."

Lysa noticed that Caligo did not follow them. "You are not bringing Caligo?"

"Not allowed."

"Oh." She couldn't hide the disappointment in her voice.

As they walked in silence, Lysa glanced at him. Strangely, he had zero reaction to the obvious bandages on her neck while everyone would stare or quickly look away. In fact, he was as poker faced as James, perhaps more.