Chapter 27: Super Problem

It was only when Lysa was face to face to the mayor of Vale himself, she realised that the uncomfortable feeling always came up when he was nearby.

She knew the feeling too well. It would stir within her when she felt threatened, slowly dragging her to lose her sense of reason, then control of her power.

It was what she felt when the Vanguards of Vale cornered her while she was severely injuried. She always wondered how she, in her messed up state then, managed to avoid hurting them badly, but she was very relieved about it.

The main point was that her power thought of the mayor as a threat. Lysa was sure she never felt that way when she saw him previously - he was intimidating, but that was it.

She took a deep, shaky breath, trying to calm down.

"Are you okay?" Kaleo asked.

She nodded hesitantly. "I will tell you later."

"Sure."

While Kaleo listened to Oliver's words, Lysa gazed out of the window, staring at the unchanging scenery to relax. From the club room, she could see the library and some parts of the local high school.

She blinked.

Is it just me, or are the walls glowing?

She squinted her eyes and upon seeing the cause of that glow, her heartbeat spiked. Kaleo, who heard the sudden change, turned to face her.

"Kaleo..." Lysa faced him, unable to hide the horror in her face. "Please, tell me that I'm seeing things."

He looked out the window as well and his frozen expression only confirmed the worst. He turned to everyone else, pulling their attention to the incident outside.

They were shocked, so much that even Jones reacted. The old man stood up and slowly made his way out of the room.

James blocked his way. "Where are you going?" he demanded quietly.

Jones gave no verbal response and the two stared each other down. Knowing nothing, Lysa watched anxiously, sensing the unspoken tension between them.

Eventually, James stepped aside, the look on his face turning to its usual apathetic expression as Jones left.

"That was tense," William remarked, only to be hushed by Akane.

James picked up his skateboard, deciding to leave as well. Without a word, Cailin went with him.

"You better not run into fire again, Oliver," Julia spoke, cutting the silence.

He sighed. "Julia, it was only that one time... plus Sonya went in first so-"

"You had to go after her?" she facepalmed. "Siblings, always so... geez."

Oliver let out a small chuckle and looked at his phone. "Looks like I have to go. Bye everyone!"

When he left, William spoke up. "So... what do we do now?"

"Continue like normal," Julia said. "Leave it to the firefighters and don't dare you go to the scene. Or else..."

She held her umbrella threateningly.

Everyone nodded, some more vigorously than others.

Lysa gazed out of the window again, feeling a terrible pit in her stomach. The longer she stared at the raging flames, the stronger that feeling grew.

As if those flames were directed at her.

••••

"I see that you have come."