Chapter 8: Stepping Stones

Lysa wondered how Kaleo had so much energy in the morning.

He strode ahead with an enthusiasm that she couldn't relate to, yet sometimes, if she looked carefully, there was that dark look in his eyes. On the other hand, she felt as lethargic as ever; if he had not been waiting for her, she might have continued lying in bed long past lunch time.

Kaleo slowed down, taking smaller steps to match her pace. "You look very pale, are you sure you are feeling okay?"

She just nodded.

"What did you eat for dinner yesterday?"

Lysa blinked. "A tomato."

"Wait what?" Kaleo nearly screamed, which attracted the attention of random passersby. "Why?"

"I was tired."

"Please tell me you ate breakfast at least," he begged.

She let out a sigh. "I didn't. No time."

"Don't you get hungry?" he pressed.

"Don't you get fat?" she snapped, annoyed at his constant questioning. A second later, she realised what she said and lowered her head. "Sorry."

"No, I am the one who should say sorry," Kaleo apologised, rummaging his pockets for something. He handed her an energy bar. "You must be hungry. Take this."

"Thanks," Lysa said quietly, staring at the energy bar. She was indeed hungry in the morning, but she just couldn't get herself up to eat anything. It was what happened at dinner yesterday as well.

She felt slightly better after having something to eat, but it would never shake off the repercussions of her near death incident barely a week ago.

As they arrived at the entrance of the book club building, she moved sharply out of the way as someone on a skateboard zoomed past her and straight into the building. She recognised the person as James - he completely disregarded the security guard's protests as he disappeared into a lift.

"That gave me a shock," Kaleo remarked, looking rather flustered.

Lysa said nothing, only taking out the card given by Julia to show the security guard, who was muttering unhappily under his breath. He let both of them through before scribbling furiously on a notebook.

On their way to the room, Kaleo spoke up. "Lysa, if you feel uncomfortable later, just give me a signal. I will make up an excuse for us to leave."

She did not respond immediately, taking in his words. "Thanks," she spoke hesitantly.

Unlike the previous time when they first met the book club members, the room seemed relatively quiet. Kaleo took the initiative to open the door and went in.

All of the regular members were present, though only Akane reacted to their presence - she looked up from whatever she was doing - as the rest, not counting Jones, were preoccupied with something. They were gathered around a movable whiteboard, which was a mess of coloured lines and random dots.

Lysa watched as Irvin scribbled more lines on the board, pointing at them with the marker only for it to be snatched by Cailin, who drew even more lines. William watched them with fascination but he seemed to be as clueless as the two newcomers.

Kaleo let out a loud, nervous cough. Surprisingly, it was enough for that group to notice them.

"Don't mind us," Cailin said. "Just take a seat."

"Julia hasn't arrived, so we are waiting for her," Helen added.

"Alright," Kaleo responded.

He chose the closest empty table and Lysa followed him. As the others continued whatever they were doing, she noticed, much to her unease, that Akane was staring at her in particular. At one glance, her gaze was sharp with disapproval and dissatisfaction, but when Lysa recalled and compared that look from the first time they met, she realised it was milder.