Chapter 18: From the Beginning

"So what did we miss?"

As Kaleo asked that question, Lysa thought about how surreal it felt to be sitting in the club room again, watching their conversations like nothing changed. The prickle of unease was still there but it was not overwhelming.

"Nothing much," William responded for everyone. "Just the usual stuff with more of Akane's sulking and those four's emergency meetings."

"Shh, not so loud!" Cailin scolded. "It's supposed to be a surprise."

"What surprise?" Kaleo asked, keeping his voice low.

She grinned. "Julia's birthday. We are going to make it extra special this year."

Irvin frowned. "But we always end up doing that plan-"

Helen smacked him with a pillow. "We are making it extra special this year," she repeated Cailin's words with more emphasis.

"Just stop with the pillows," Akane commented, sighing.

Lysa found it best to let them talk without trying to join the conversation. She preferred it that way; sometimes they could be rather intimidating.

She looked up as James pulled out a chair and sat nearby. "Are you sure you are okay?"

Taken aback by his rare gesture, she instinctively lowered her gaze to stare at her hands. "I... hope so."

Out of the Four Musketeers, James was the quietest and the most relaxed. He never seemed to say more than necessary, which was probably why it felt more comfortable to be around him than his other friends.

He hummed in acknowledgement, pondering about her response for a moment. "Carol told me about what happened."

Lysa's heart skipped a beat as she clutched her arm, feeling drops of cold sweat rolling down the sides of her head. Is he-

"You... really are a good person," James mused softly, mostly to himself. Bewildered, she wondered whether she was hearing things.

"Do visit Carol sometime," he added in a louder voice as he stood up, leaving for the toilet.

She stared at his disappearing figure, trying to wrap her head around what he said. Distracted, she didn't realise that Kaleo was calling her until he waved his hand in front of her face.

"Lysa, you there?"

"Y-yeah. What did you say?"

She did not miss the flash of concern in his eyes. "We are trying to get a gift for Julia," he said. "What do you think she would like?"

"I'm not sure," Lysa replied hesitantly. She was not experienced in choosing gifts, especially for someone she only knew for a while. However, she didn't want to seem unhelpful and quickly came up with something. "Maybe write her a letter?"

"A letter, you say..." Cailin rubbed her chin purposefully, grinning. "We could do that."

"But that's boring," William remarked.

She chuckled. "It's not if it is from the right person."

Irvin and Helen made weird faces simultaneously while Akane facepalmed and decided to read a book. William seemed mildly confused but went along with it.

"Julia's birthday plans aside, I'm... really glad you guys are okay," Helen spoke up. "If you need someone to talk to, I know someone."

Kaleo smiled. "Thanks, I'll keep that in mind."

"Are you two heading off somewhere later?" Irvin asked. "I was thinking we could have lunch together."

Lysa blinked in surprise as Kaleo replied for the both of them.